How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrFee Your Own Question
DrFee, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 437
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
DrFee is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have suffered for many years with extreme outburts of anger

This answer was rated:

I have suffered for many years with extreme outburts of anger and relationship damaging actions, These occur about 4 times a year. I have also suffered two major concussions and think I may have bipolar realted depression. What should I do?
Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

You said that you are already in counseling, I am wondering if it is with someone (such as a Psychologist) who is qualified to diagnose you (or rule out) Bipolar. You don't want to try to diagnose yourself. If your current counselor is not qualified to make such a diagnosis, then you could ask for a referral just to have an evaluation done --either by a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist. Psychologists tend to do more testing (personality measures, etc) than do Psychiatrists --but a Psychiatrist can address the fact that your medications do not seem to be working.

If you are getting your Citalopram from your GP, I would recommend that you seek a consultation with a Psychiatrist, as they are remain more updated and have more experience in treating these types of disorders than do GPs.

Also the 2 major concussions are of concern --perhaps before doing any of the above you should consult with a Neurologist to assess how the concussions may or may not be impacting your current problems.

You could talk all of this over with your current counselor, it could be that person has given you a diagnosis already, but it's not clear to you. Also, tell your current doctor that the Citalopram is not working, he/she might be able to work with you in that regard --ask them about whether or not you should see a Neurologist and if the answer is "no" make sure you understand why not.

So here's a list of questions for your doctor:

1. Do you think that I have Bipolar disorder? Why or why not?
2. How are my concussions affecting my current problems?
3. Should I see a Neurologist? (If no, why not?)
4 The Citalopram does not seem to be working. What else can we do? (If the answer is "continue to take it longer" ask For how long? When would we switch to something else.

I hope that helps. Please follow up with me if you cannot give this response a positive rating -- I am more than happy to continue with you!
DrFee and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions