Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks due to social phobia.

I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks due to social phobia. My current medication is 60 mg of Paxil which i've been on for 8 weeks, also 150mg of Wellbutrin which i've been on for 4 weeks. Befor the Paxil and Wellbutrin the only medication i was taking for the panic attacks was Clonazepam 1mg 3 times daily, which i've been on for nearly 3 years. I've swithed doctors which is why i started the Paxil and Welbutrin. My doctor wishes to wean me off of clonazepam, but my condition has only seemed to worsen instead of improve. As a buffer, my doctor perscribed Valium, 5 mg tabs 4 times daily. What if any reations can i expect? And does it take longer tha 4 weeks for the Wekkbutrin to take affect? Am thanking you in advance.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 4 years ago.

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your questions! Valium and Klonopin are both long-acting benzodiazepines, but Valium tends to be less potent than Klonopin. It takes more of Valium to do the same thing as less of Klonopin, but in my clinical experience Valium is better at calming without sedation that Klonopin can have.
Dr_Anderson : So, you should expect it to help your anxiety, with a calming effect, and perhaps some sedation, but not much. Also, it may help to relax your muscles, since Valium can do that, too.
Dr_Anderson : Regarding Wellbutrin, it can take 4-6 weeks, or even longer, to notice a positive benefit. Some patients notice a positive benefit at as little as 2 weeks, though.
Dr_Anderson : I'm sure you have other questions, so please feel free to ask!
Dr_Anderson : Regards,
Dr_Anderson : Dr. Anderson
Dr_Anderson : Why did you rate this as a negative? You have not asked any further questions for clarification - I am more than happy to help, as I clearly stated above.