Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

remeron and weight gain

remeron and weight gain
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 2 years ago.

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, what is your question?
Customer:

hi

Customer:

it is mirecile indeed

Customer:

yes it is mirecle

Customer:

i take half tablet of remeron 15mg and i wake up

Customer:

i can feel of everything

Customer:

feel of life

Customer:

i was dead

Customer:

really i was dead

Customer:

i want to ask you please...

Dr_Anderson : Greetngs! Yes, we spoke the other day. Remeron is a very good medicine for your PTSD, but you had weight gain with it. Since it worked so well, it might be possible to take a lower dose and not have the weight gain, but have it help your mood and anxiety.
Customer:

good

Customer:

it is mirecle i swear

Customer:

how just half tablet make this!!!

Customer:

ok

Dr_Anderson : If, however, the lower dose does not help or you still get the weight gain, you might want to add a low dose of something like methylphernidate, buproprion, or topiramate to help curb the weight gain.
Customer:

if i want to continuo on half tablet how much my weight will increase?

Dr_Anderson : Hope this helps!
Dr_Anderson : Hard to say, although for most people the weight gain plateaus, it does not keep going up.
Customer:

so it may just be temporery?

Dr_Anderson : Yes, or at least it may go up and then stop after being on the medicine for a while.
Customer:

increasing in weight gain or the ability to increase my be temprory?

Customer:

may*

Customer:

no you didnt understand me

Dr_Anderson : The weight gain may be temporary
Customer:

i see

Customer:

and am taking half tablet not 30mg just 15

Customer:

can this help?

Customer:

or the same

Dr_Anderson : Yes, in fact I have had some patients who take as little as 7.5 mg and do well.
Customer:

because if the same i take 30mg

Dr_Anderson : So, it is worth trying at the 15 mg.
Customer:

no but if 30mg is the same in increasing ability of getting weight gain i prefer takeing 30mg or not?

Customer:

because i feer of side effect

Customer:

??

Customer:

halo?

Customer:

i need a direct answer

Dr_Anderson : Weight gain is typically dose dependent, so weight gain is more likely to be higher with 30 mg than with 15 mg. But, the weight gain typically stops, regardless of the dose, after a certain amount is gained. However, the effectiveness of the dose may not be as good at 30 mg over 15 mg.
Customer:

ok

Customer:

can i know how i get the weight gain so i can not,because am on diet now and i am loosing weight because iam over weighted so what should i do?

Dr_Anderson : Well, if you are watching your diet and getting regular exercise, that is important to minimize weight gain. For some people, that is not enough, though, and they still gain weight in spite of a good diet and exercise.
Dr_Anderson : In tjose cases, it might be necessary to add a medicine to help with the weight gain. I listed three of them above.
Customer:

yes

Customer:

but i want to know the mecanism of that so i can control it

Customer:

is it in metabolizem?

Customer:
Customer:

or just in eating more?

Customer:

or both?

Dr_Anderson : No one knows the mechanism.
Dr_Anderson : It is likely a function of the medication itself, since it works on the histamine system, too.
Dr_Anderson : Antihistamines will not prevent the weight gain, so no one really knows how the medicine causes the weight gain.
Customer:

mmm

Customer:

ok ihave last q

Customer:

how every one saying that ssri is first line treatment

Customer:

!!

Customer:

i didnt get that effect from ssir!

Customer:

and now am taking it for 45 days

Customer:

!!

Customer:

is the problem in dose

Customer:

am taking 200mg luvox now

Customer:

or nothing will be like remeron?

Dr_Anderson : It may be either a problem in dose (like needing to go to 300 mg) or time (needing up to 8-12 weeks before saying the medicine is not working), or both.
Customer:

so at last midicne can ssri can reach 15mg of remeron?

Customer:

can ssri reach 15mg effect?

Customer:

can i get that effec?

Dr_Anderson : Yes, it is quite possible for it to do so.
Customer:

are you sure?

Customer:
Dr_Anderson : Yes, quite sure!
Dr_Anderson : Many patients who can attest to it. :)
Customer:

ok thank you

Customer:

very much

Customer:

hope meet you soon

Dr_Anderson : You are welcome! Hang in there - you'll feel relief soon!
Customer:

bye

Dr_Anderson : Best wishes. :)
Customer:

thank you

Customer:
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist