Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

Have been using fluoxetine for approx 20 years, in last several

Customer Question

Have been using fluoxetine for approx 20 years, in last several months have noticed increased problem with recalling "immediate" things have had blood work, mri, psych test have 2 centimeter meningioma on right side of brain doesn't see, to be any problem, and just wonder if fluoxetine could have any effect on my memory after so many years
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 2 years ago.

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your question. Typically, long-term use of fluoxetine does not lead to cognitive problems, such as memory and recall. Thus far, the medical work-up has been unremarkable from what you have posted, so other things have to be considered. You mentioned psychological testing - what were the results of that? Another obvious possibility is that the underlying issue the Prozac was treating is coming back and/or leading to new symptoms, such as poor concentration and executive function impairment. It is unlikely to be due to a dementing process, since this sounds rather sudden in onset (months instead of years) and you are also aware of the deficit.
Dr_Anderson : I see you are offline right now, but when you get a chance, please let me know what your psychological testing showed. Hope this gets you started, though!
Dr_Anderson : I look forward to hearing from you. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer:

I am confused now as I had a problem with my master card, it had been compromised..I have received a new one and have made my payment, hope my payment has been made... Medically, I was diagnosed in my psych testing as "some mild dementia" otherwise all other aspects seem normal. have been doing some "research" and found statins may be a possible cause. I am on avorvstatin and can't remember statin before that. I agree with you, I feel "with it" at times and am very aware of the "forgetful moments. Appreciate your interest, but I I don't want to be charged again.

Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist
Greetings,

We're still on the same thread, so it should not charge you again.

You have hit the nail on the head - when someone has new symptoms or a change which is rather new, all things being equal I look at their medication list to see if it may be contributing. If your research has turned up the possibility of statins as the culprit in your executive function and cognitive problems, I'd recommend talking with your primary care doctor about perhaps switching to a different class of antihyperlipidemia agents.

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, just received your answer and truly appreciate your input, it has been frustrating (and frightening) but am so glad to see you felt I am correct, I am seeing my physician today and will talk with her, to see what else is available. It is good to know your site is available. Thank you again for your input.
You are very welcome! Did you have additional questions with which I could assist, in preparation for your visit with your doctor?

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just saw your remarks. I had my appointment yesterday, and my np and I agreed that I will go off the statin, and my cholesterol levels had come down to normal. she will check me again in 4 months. so again thank you for your input. I will not hesitate to contact Just Ask if I have a question I cannot answer.
Thank you! Best wishes - and hopefully the "real-life" folks helping you will be able to make us obsolete - but we're here if you need us!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I answered your email in another place, but just in case, I am off the statins and doing much better, really believe that was a big part of the problem. Thanks again for your interest.
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome! And thank you for the update! I'm glad you're doing better, and with a relatively simple "fix" of stopping the statins. Best wishes!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson