Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

My sons therapist has been called away on a family emergency

My sons therapist has been called away on a family emergency and now he is have feelins of anxiety and abandonment. Is this a normal reaction.

Dr. Rossi :

Good Morning,

Dr. Rossi :

If your son is 19 yol, his feelings may be due as a result of transference

Dr. Rossi :

The feelings are not per se "abnormal" and they are not either the "norm"

Dr. Rossi :

It would depend on what issues he was working on in his therapy

Dr. Rossi :

If she was helping him overcome anxiety, then his anxiety may have manifested now because he's become too dependent on her to help him manage it

Dr. Rossi :

He could be making an association b/w her availability to conduct his sessions and his decrease in anxiety. Now that she's away, he may be mistakenly allocating his inability to control his own anxiety as a result of her absence (rather than his own control over it)

Dr. Rossi :

Abandonment issues is another thing that an older individual would not feel unless he's developed other feelings (amorous ones) towards her

Dr. Rossi :

If her mere absence is causing his anxiety to increase, it is an indication that there is underlined unresolved issues

Dr. Rossi :

Even if this is more of a codependent versus healing/therapeutic relationship

Dr. Rossi :

If you're still online, feel free to reply.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He was in thr middle of texting her about a problem he was having when she was called to the hospital. Her dad had been taken to er by ambulance.

His anxiety may be due to possibly worrying (how she would deal w/ her own crisis) as well as the delay of getting feedback from her in regard to his texts. Yet, no client should be so reliant onto another (even therapist) for alleviation of one's symptoms. So, to answer your inquiry "Is this a normal reaction" the reaction is not the norm for an adult 19 yol to display. I would refrain from the word "normal" as surely he's dealing with issues that she is helping him with. That does not imply abnormality; simply that he needs help w/ it.

Transference in Psychotherapy