Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling

Every morning I wake up with negative thoughts. Some of my

Every morning I wake up with negative thoughts. Some of my days are low energy depressing days. I went thru menopause 2 years ago. Would like to stay off prescription drugs. Are there any natural supplements to stop the negative thoughts?
Hello, I'm Alicia. Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help you today.

While there's no supplement that's going to change your thinking patterns or transform negative thoughts into positive ones, certain supplements may help elevate your mood and help you feel less depressed, anxious, stressed and fatigued, help boost your energy levels and help you feel an overall increase in well-being, which may have the added yet indirect side effect of decreasing negative thoughts.

It stands to reason that if you physically feel better, you'll mentally feel better, too. However, you should always inform your doctor of any over-the-counter nutritional or dietary supplements you plan to take, and especially if you take any medication. Dietary supplements are not regulated by the FDA, so they are not subject to rigorous testing like medications are.

If you are interested in a natural approach, you might also consider seeing a cognitive-behavioral therapist. Cognitive-behavioral therapy can help you with negative or dysfunctional thinking patterns and help transform the way you feel. You can read more about it here and find a therapist (if you're interested) on this website:

That being said, I will give you a list of supplements and links for additional information, if you'd like to research them a bit further, that you can look into to see if they can help improve the way you're feeling.

St. John's wort: used commonly for depression - some clinical studies have found that it may be as effective as certain medications
You can read more here:

Sam-E: It's not an herb, it's a naturally occurring compound that is also used as a supplement to treat depression and anxiety:
You can read more here:

You should also try to increase your exposure to natural sunlight, which promotes your body's production of vitamin D. A lack of vitamin D has been tied to lowered mood and depression, and can impact your overall mood.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.