Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling
65143460

i have depression and i am got merried before one month but

i have depression and i am got merried before one month but what is strange that i have itrusive homosexuality thought but i love my wife and i enjoy sex with her now i start on remeron any advice
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 2 years ago.

Alicia_MSW :

Hello, I'm Alicia. Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help you today.

Alicia_MSW :

Intrusive homosexual thoughts are not necessarily something to be alarmed about, and you'd be surprised to hear how common they are.

Alicia_MSW :

They are sometimes a sign of OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder, a type of anxiety disorder), and Remeron is often used to treat OCD, but it can take some time for it to be effective. Normally, you'd start to see some benefit by now, but you might need to give it a little longer to fully take action.

Alicia_MSW :

If you love your wife and you enjoy sex and being intimate with her, then chances are pretty high that you're not gay, if that's what you're worried about.

Alicia_MSW :

You might find this article on homosexual obsessive-compulsive disorder informative: http://www.brainphysics.com/hocd.php

Alicia_MSW :

It's basically a subtype of OCD where straight people begin to develop an anxiety over possibly being homosexual - even though they aren't. So you might feel like you need to constantly remind yourself that you're not gay, or you might have worrisome thoughts like, what if I am gay? But it doesn't sound like this is the case in your situation. So I would try to relax, realize that it's most likely an anxiety reaction - and discuss it with the doctor who prescribed the Remeron, if it persists and you're not feeling any change within the next few weeks.

Alicia_MSW :

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you but this happen to me one month ago because of too much stress at that time and depression but now because of depression i les enjoy sex with my wife what is the recomeneded remeron dose and what is the duration
Hello again,

Thanks for the additional information. You should talk to your doctor about the recommended dose for your condition, but generally speaking, the recommended dose for Remeron is 15mg daily - although this is just for informative purposes and I cannot provide you with specific information for your condition on this website.
You may find this information helpful to review:
http://depression.emedtv.com/remeron/remeron-dosage.html
as it discusses additional factors that need to be taken into account. So you should talk to your health care provider - as he/she may make adjustments to your dosage as needed. You should not make any changes to your dosage without talking to your doctor. It's not uncommon to experience sexual difficulties as a side effect of Remeron or the depression, so it is hard to say what is causing your problem. Again, it is something you should also mention to your doctor. If your problems continue, you may wish to discuss the use of a different medication.
I hope this helps. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but sure i am not gay
Well, if you're asking me, I can't answer that question for you, it's a question only you can answer. But from what you've said to me so far, it doesn't seem like you are gay. You might be bi-sexual (which is not so uncommon, a lot of people have fantasies about people of the same sex), however. But if you haven't experienced these fantasies before, then I don't think that is necessarily what is going on with you. You say you enjoy sex with your wife, so if you were gay, I don't think this would be the case. Either way, you should talk to your doctor about the sexual problems you're experiencing, because it could simply be a side effect of the medication. Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok just what i want to say i start have this thought two months ago and i never practice homsexulity
I understand that, I just want to let you know that there's not necessarily anything wrong or unusual about that. Many people have thoughts like that - even if they've never engaged in sex with someone of the same sex (and even if they never will.) It could just be a symptom of anxiety (as with OCD , as I mentioned above in my first post). For example, if you feel like it's bad or unacceptable to have these thoughts, the more you try to push them away, the more persistent they might become. So it might be better to try to relax and accept the thoughts for the time being, without judging yourself or worrying about them. Sometimes, thoughts like this go away on their own, too, without you having to do anything about it. If you're really worried about it or if it starts to interfere with your ability to function, you might want to speak to a therapist - someone who can address the underlying anxiety with you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now i dont have any homosexulity thought after i took remeron and i am happy with my wife
Okay - that's great. So it sounds like things are back on track for you. I'm not sure why you've given me a negative rating, but if there's anything else you need help with, just let me know.
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience: Specializing in mental health counseling