Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Dear Dr. Keane, I understand and agree that each experience

Dear Dr. Keane, I understand and agree that each experience good and bad shapes the future and are a learning experience. I agree with what you’ve said, that sometimes I do focus on the negatives, not intentionally so as such, just at certain times. I also sometimes find myself questioning what I do. I mean I know that what I do is right, I'm not explaining very well but sometimes I question myself whether I should really be doing the work I do and to be in such responsible positions because I think of all the negatives of the past, of people's negative criticisms and comments and this is despite the fact that I know that I should be doing what I am doing and in such positions because I do it well. I think the negatives sometimes bring about self-doubts at times. I would also like to say at this point that at times I do think of the positives, of what I do and have done and the difference I have made to some of the things I'm involved in. I do think the self-talk technique does work and I am grateful for you teaching me that. I will try to use the "Stop" technique. I also want to ask a bit more about self-talk and anxiety and also looking forward but I need to go offline just now. Did I answer your questions alright and adequately enough? I hope you had a good weekend. If we end up not chatting today I'd like to know your thoughts anyway and then I hope that one day we will be able to chat again some time. How's your book going by the way? I have heard of another book which might be of interest to you that someone was telling me about. I was convinced I'd remember but I don't now but I'll find out for you when I see the person again who told me about it in a week's time. I also want you to know that next week my schedule isn't quite so busy as it is this week so hopefully some time we'll be able to chat at somepoint. I'm sure yours will remain busy but I just thought I'd let you know that. Thank you too for still keeping to your word and still being here and responding to me. BTW I'm still remembering to let you know when I hear anything about Torchwood. You are probably busy and I have a meeting to go to. I hope your day is a good one and hope we'll catch up again soon. I would in the meantime be interested in your thoughts.

Dr.Keane :

Until we manage to actually chat about it I will comment on your self questioning your work choices. As long as you feel that you are doing well, and enjoy what you are doing then you are okay. If you have been placed in a responsible position then whoever put you there feels you are capable of doing the job, and you have shown them you can. The lingering self doubt that rears it's nasty head at times is something you will have to work on probably forever. It's so ingrained in you that it's automatic. BUT you have learned how to knock it down with positive self talk and you'll continue to do so as each time it happens. You have the tools to overcome the anxiety it produces and you use them well.