Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

FOR DR ANDERSEN ONLY---Questions re: Loraz pills

Customer Question

FOR DR ANDERSEN ONLY: Re switch from oral to pills Lorazapem - Now completely on Lorazapem pills with the following results:

the good: slept 9pm to 12Am then 1:30am to 6am the bad--- those "pill" symptoms are back: Nasal congestion (use nettie pod) and now lump in throat..been drinking water and juice. and had honey Q- ANY OTHER HOLOSTIC approaches. Are these withdrawal or pill reactions? Use facial steamer for breathing. Q- The congestion is what is waking me up. My BP and pulse higher at that time...sometimes mild hypertansion--- 6am 132/114 p80 6:15am 113/85 p91 6:45am 107/84 p74 9:25am 111/81 p68 10:30am 112/85 p67 breathing with mouth slightly open 11am 120/88 p66. Should I be using the steamer then? What can I do. am lightheaded sometimes through day Q- Have one small bump inside nose. Told to use petroleium jelly on q tip and put inside nostril. Is this a good remedy? Is this nasal polyp from allergies? Q- What exercise are they referring to --read this online- "Patients can reduce nasal airway resistance up to 50% with isotonic exercise, which increases in sympathetic tone mediate. "

Does a rainy day improve or aggravate congestion. I live in NJ. Thanks for your help. PS- My boyfriend can't believe the quality doctor you are compared to who I go to. Wish we had someone of your knowledge, professionalism, and kindness -here like you...I will continue with you online ON THIS SITE since I am getting the best care thru you. Margo

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you - I will wait for his response. Margo

Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 2 years ago.
Greetings,

Typically, nasal congestion is not a withdrawal side effect of lorazepam withdrawal (it tends to be clustered with pain pill withdrawal), so I think it's important to look for other things that may be causing the congestion. A common cause is post-nasal drip from nasal irritants or allergies. We had a very dry and warm winter this year, so much more pollen and allergen is in the air, even for folks who usually do not suffer from allergies. Nasal congestion, lump in throat, feeling a bit dehydrated are all common in that case (and would also peak in the middle of the night for many people). The Netty pot is good; consider also zinc. Anti-allergy medication such as Benadryl or Claritin may also be considered if it persists. The rainy day may help it at first, but then it may worsen as the dust and other air-particles begin to dry up. The petroleum q-tip is a good idea if your nasal passages are too dry, but that trick can backfire and lead to sinus congestion and infections if your passages are not dry (because the secretions have no way to flow freely due to the petroleum). Also, the nasal polyp you mentioned is a very common allergy-induced finding. It usually goes away on its own as the allergies improve.

Use of the pot before bed, plus a decongestant or antihistamine, should be quite helpful.

Hope this helps! Happy and humbled to be of service,

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist