Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

I just having to take klonopin again after 3 years of without

I just having to take klonopin again after 3 years of without it... I have been taking 2 mg. Is this too muh? I have very high anxiety about personal problems at home

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about the high level of anxiety! Given that you have not had Klonopin in a while, and that it is a fairly potent medication, 2 mg is probably a bit too high to start with. 1 mg is reasonable, so half the dose/pill. Also, given that your anxiety is back, it would be a good idea to talk with your doctor about the anxiety hitting you again, so he/she can refill your prescription. Even though it is only 3 years old, it is possible the pills are old enough that they have "denatured" and are no longer effective. So, a new prescription is a great idea.
Dr_Anderson : I see you are offline right now, but I hope this helps get you started! Please let me know what other questions you have.
Dr_Anderson : Regards,
Dr_Anderson : Dr. Anderson

I was told that because they are 3 years old, they might not be as potent, so I went ahead and took 2 of them. They seem to be helping me out a lot. I have a Doc appointment tomorrow with my Doc, so maybe I can get new meds. Is there anything other than klonopin that I can take for this?

Dr_Anderson : Greetings,
Dr_Anderson : Glad they were still good, in that they still helped out! Of course, Klonopin is reasonable to continue since it has worked well for you. Another potent but shorter-acting one that I prefer for my patients is Ativan (lorazepam). It is usually necessary to take it 3 times a day for the full effect, and some patients even take it 4 times a day. Another one I use frequently for my patients is Valium (diazepam).
Dr_Anderson : It is long-acting like Klonopin, but not as potent, so it takes more of it to do the same job (5 mg of Valium for every 1 mg of Klonopin).
Dr_Anderson : But, what I like about it is it tends to calm without excessive sedation, for most of my patients who use it.
Dr_Anderson : Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr_Anderson : Regards,
Dr_Anderson : Dr. Anderson