Steven Olsen
Steven Olsen, Therapist
Experience:  More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education

My younger cousin who is 25 has been through a stressful period

My younger cousin who is 25 has been through a stressful period of ups and downs and he has admitted to using cannibis as a means for stress relief over the past 4 months. Having had a consultation with a local psychiatrist for his complaints and fears he has been prescribed Risperdal Consta 37.5mg/ 3 weeks for suspected Shizoaffective disorder... I just want to know, if the psychiatrist was wrong about his suspicions and the diagnosis wrong, what would be the physiological effects of this medication on his brain chemistry...

Paris
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Steven Olsen replied 2 years ago.

Great question.

There are a couple of concerns here, so let's look at them one at a time.

Yes, diagnosing someone with schizoaffective disorder, suspected or not, tends to be a difficult call, clinically speaking. The disorder itself is a mental illness characterized by recurring episodes of mood disorder and psychosis. Most doctors, if they suspect this disorder, prescribe a mood stabilizer and/or antipsychotic immediately. If the symptoms improve, the diagnosis is maintained and treatment continued. If not, the medications are either altered or removed.

Your main question, what would happen in the brain if the person did not have this issue is fairly easy to answer. The medications work by by blocking the receptors in the brain that certain neurotransmitters in the brain receive and process, such as dopamine. This action prevents excessive activity in the brain and helps to control symptoms. This drug regime is often prescribed to elderly patients as well, as those suffering with dementia related agitation are helped by this combination. In a younger adult without schizoaffective disorder, fatigue, tiredness, low motivation and a blunting of affect sometimes occur. (Blunting means that the normal range of mood expression is restricted.)

The most serious risk of this medication tends to be Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS). This is a rare potential side effect of this drug and involves symptoms such as high fever; stiff muscles; shaking; confusion; sweating; heart rate or muscle pain and weakness. But this is very rare and generally does not occur.

Overall, the side effect that you will see in a person without schizoaffective disorder is sedation. They tend to sleep a lot more than usual. Permanent damage when taken short term is rare.

If I have helped you in any way, please rate me three stars or above. Thank you. Steven

Steven Olsen, Therapist
Experience: More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education
May I help you further?