DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
66179016

I have post traumatic stress syndrome from childhood sexual

I have post traumatic stress syndrome from childhood sexual abuse. I am sixty four years old and have had therapy . I have several children alters who are the ages of abuse but they hold the pain and memories I feel their pain only. We relate in no other way. Is this did or what. Thank you. Kn

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

PTSD is a tough disorder to deal with, as are dissociative disorders.

DrFee :

DID can occur on a continuum --from a diagnosis that is called "DIDNOS" to full blown DID.

DrFee :

Hi --i was just about to post the diagnostic criteria for DID for you

DrFee :

Essentially you need 2 very distinct personality alters, whereas with DIDNOS we refer to "ego states," rather than alters --again is often a matter of degree.

DrFee :

1. Disruption of identity characterized by two or more distinct personality states or an experience of possession. This involves marked discontinuity in sense of self and sense of agency, accompanied by related alterations in affect, behavior, consciousness, memory, perception, cognition, and/or sensory-motor functioning. These signs and symptoms may be observed by others or reported by the individual.

2. Recurrent gaps in the recall of everyday events, important personal information, and/or traumatic events that are inconsistent with ordinary forgetting.

3. The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

4. The disturbance is not a normal part of a broadly accepted cultural or religious practice. (Note: In children, the symptoms are not attributable to imaginary playmates or other fantasy play.)

5. The symptoms are not attributable to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., blackouts or chaotic behavior during Alcohol Intoxication) or another medical condition (e.g., complex partial seizures).

DrFee :

So between the distinct personality states and the need for "gaps" in recall, it is more likely that what you are describing is DIDNOS.

DrFee :

NOS stands for "not otherwise specified"

DrFee :

It sounds like you have had lots of therapy, is it helping you?

DrFee :

Looks like you have been typing for a very long time. I'm going to try exiting and coming back into the chat.

Customer: IS THERE A NAME FOR THIS DISORDER SPECIFICALLY IHAD 10 YEARS OF THERAPY AND I FEEL GREATI WAS JUST CURIOUS THANK YOU
DrFee :

You are welcome. I can't give you a definitive diagnosis over the internet, but it sounds like DID NOS to me.

DrFee :

Less severe than DID

DrFee :

Can I answer any other questions for you?

Customer: NO THANK YOU