Steven Olsen
Steven Olsen, Therapist
Experience:  More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education

Hi I have just realised and learnt that my 22 year old son

Hi I have just realised and learnt that my 22 year old son has aspergers syndrome. It has been very difficult raising him and only now has a psychitrist mentioned that he could have aspergers. He is also showing signs of schizophrenia. Are there any relationship between the 2 as she has suggested that my son could have had schizophrenia as a child. Is this possible???

I am sorry to hear about your son. This is very difficult news to hear.

There is no relationship between Asperger's Syndrome, which is a pervasive developmental disorder, and Schizophrenia, a psychotic disorder. They are completely different issues. One does not cause the other, although it is possible to have both at the same time.

Could your son have had schizophrenia as a child? It is possible, but it is not typical. This disorder, schizophrenia, is not common as a childhood onset. It can occur, but it is very rare. Schizophrenia occurs mostly between 17-25 years of age as an onset.

Although schizophrenia is a difficult disorder, there are excellent medications to treat the psychotic thinking. Therapy can also help Asperger's Disorder and there is a good chance that your son can be rid of his psychotic symptoms and will stabilize. Steven