Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Is it ok to take Abilify 30mg and Invega 6mg together?

Could you please mention your diagnosis?

Are these medicine prescribed by your psychiatrist?

Are you also taking any other medicines?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My diagnosis is bipolar 1 and generalized anxiety disorder. I also have these meds by a psychiatrist : Tegretol 600mg, Klonopin 0.5mg (prn)
Thanks for your reply.

I see, you have two similar questions opened at the same time. I have also send an info request to your other question, please answer that info request also.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I forgot I also take Remeron half a 15mg pill. I have many health problems including kidney disease, hypertension, high cholesterol.
Thanks for your reply.

As you must be knowing, both invega and Abilify are antipsychotic and under normal circumstances both of them are not used together because both of them have antidopaminergic effects and the combination can cause extrapyramidal symptoms and neuroleptic malignant syndrome.

Having said this, we as a psychiatrist sometimes may occasionally use two antipsychotics in selected few patients who are not responding to a single medicines.

Abilify mechanism of action is somewhat different from that of Invega. Abilify is mainly a dopamine stabilizer while invega is a dopamine antagonist and in some cases, the combination can be used under a specialist psychiatrist supervision.

If you are able to tolerate this combination and are not experiencing any extrapyramidal side effect than there is no harm in taking both of them together in my view.

Remeron is in very low dose of 7.5 mg and is as such insignificant but please note that it can cause weight gain as a side effect.

Tegretal is also in low dose of 600 mg per day and Clonazepam is also in a low dose in your prescription.

So as such, your medicines are appropriate considering your diagnosis of bipolar and generalized anxiety disorder as you have mentioned in your another question.

Please feel free to discuss further if you have any other query.

Kind regards