Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling
65143460

I have problem in motivating my self to study or to do assignment..

I have problem in motivating my self to study or to do assignment.. I'm a student in university..Most of the time I feel lazy to do my work or to study..I wannna know what causes me to be like that? and how to overcome the problem that I have?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Alicia, I'm happy to help you with your question today.

It's not so strange that you feel a lack of motivation or that you feel "lazy" a lot of times. It's very common in university students. You're dealing with a great deal of pressure, not only from your studies, but socially speaking, and in terms of thinking about the future. It can be very tiring, which explains why a lot of unversity students spend their "off time" sleeping, playing video games or engaging in other types of distractions. However, it can also be a sign of self-sabotage. For some reason, you might subconsciously want to jeopardize your chances of success (this can be for any number of reasons - low self-esteem, too much pressure, especially from your family, social reasons etc) and so your brain finds ways to tell you not to do certain things, like studying. The way to overcome this is to try to find a balance. Too much laziness is not good, of course, but too much studying can also be counterproductive. Finding a group of people who you can study with can be motivating, or at least finding a study partner. Set a schedule for yourself where you write down how you're going to spend your time when you're not in class. Make sure you schedule in fun time or "down" time in addition to study time. You might also want to reward yourself when you accomplish certain goals (achieving a high mark on a test, for example). So you can buy yourself something small that you've been wanting, just as another example. If you feel stressed and you feel like your laziness might stem from too much stress, you might also want to start practicing stress management techniques - such as meditation, yoga, tai chi, going for a walk in nature, etc. What works is different for everyone, but it's important to have a way to release tension and pressure.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need additional assistance.
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience: Specializing in mental health counseling