How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Alicia_MSW Your Own Question

Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 776
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Alicia_MSW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was diagnosised and treated for prostrate cancer

Resolved Question:

My husband was diagnosised and treated for prostrate cancer almost fourteen years ago. I was 55 our sex live ended completely. I did pretty well for a while but am getting deeper and deeper depressed. over the last five years he doesn't look at me or touch me in any intimate way. I can't talk to him, he just doesn't hear. Stress is slowly destroying my health and mind. Self gratufication is out, it won't work. I'm losing it, any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 3 years ago.

I'm happy to help you today with your question.

I empathize with what you and your husband are both dealing with, and I imagine that the situation is not easy for either of you. It makes sense that you're feeling so stressed and depressed - and not only due to the physical issues you mentioned, although that certainly does play a big role here.

As far as handling and managing your overall stress levels, I would suggest that you try to engage in a support group for people with spouses who have had prostate cancer - even if the condition has been successfully treated, there are long-term consequences that you (and many women in similar situations) have to deal with. There are online support groups and support groups you can participate in person. You may find this link of listings helpful:

Other stress management techniques can help not only with stress but can also help improve the symptoms of depression you are experiencing. Exercising (Tai Chi and Yoga are excellent, especially if you have any physical concerns of you own) has been shown in clinical studies to help alleviate stress and depressive symptoms, and it can be a helpful way to get out and work through your feelings of frustration, both physically and emotionally. And if you decide to take a class, you'll find that the socialization benefits may help improve the way you're feeling, too.

As far as dealing with the actual physical feelings caused by the lack of intimacy, there are some suggestions I can offer you as well. Self-gratification often doesn't work for many women because they attach a feeling of shame onto it - but if you are able to incorporate this and realize there is absolutely nothing wrong with physically gratifying yourself in such a situation (either with or without your husband's assistance) - such as using sexual aids and tools, then you may find that this helps, at least in a small way, from time to time. Many men who undergo treatment for prostate cancer often experience a severe dip in libido, whether this is due to impotence caused by their treatment or the actual mental and emotional consequences of the condition. You've been dealing with this situation for a long time (if you were 55 when this first happened), but I would suggest that you think about talking to a sex therapist or a couples counselor. This is such an important issue, and you should not have to suffer on your own like this. There is a study that has shown that therapy (counseling) can improve intimacy and the sex lives of couples after prostate cancer treatment (even if it's already been a long time since he's been treated.)
You might find this article informative, as it discusses this study in more detail:

Of course, your husband has to be willing to participate as well, so you might consider sharing this link with him too. I understand how frustrating this is because you say he won't hear you, but perhaps another idea would be to write down your feelings to him in a letter. He may not be open to hearing you if you're actually talking to him - because he feels guilty or ashamed of your lack of intimacy, for example - but if you can write down your feelings and explain what you would like to see change in your relationship, he may be more open to "hearing" what you have to say. I can imagine that your husband is not happy with the situation either - and if therapy does not help or he is not willing to participate, then he may want to discuss this with his doctor, as there are treatments that can help. You might also find this information helpful, in terms of sharing with him or for your own information about sex and intimacy after prostate cancer treatment:

I do hope that helps. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else. Best wishes.

Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 776
Experience: Specializing in mental health counseling
Alicia_MSW and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you but nothing has changed, my new doctor has made it even worse. He
is fresh out of med school and not used to dealing with lifes real problems

Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear it. Perhaps getting a second opinion from another doctor might be a good idea? You should not have to suffer needlessly like this, and if your current doctor can't help you, then there's no reason not to seek another opinion, just for your own peace of mind. And I do think that having support, for yourself, is important to help you deal with everything you have going on right now, so I would suggest that you consider speaking to a counselor on your own, or joining a support group, as well as engaging in some of the other techniques (stress management and so forth). It's not an easy situation to handle on your own. Please let me know if I can offer additional support or if you'd like to discuss this more.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
< Previous | Next >
  • I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly. Thank you very much Corrie Moll Pretoria, South Africa
  • I thank-you so much! It really helped to have this information and confirmation. We will watch her carefully and get her in for the examination and US right away if things do not improve. God bless you as well! Claudia Albuquerque, NM
  • Outstanding response time less than 6 minutes. Answered the question professionally and with a great deal of compassion. Kevin Beaverton, OR
  • Suggested diagnosis was what I hoped and will take this info to my doctor's appointment next week.
    I feel better already! Thank you.
    Elanor Tracy, CA
  • Thank you to the Physician who answered my question today. The answer was far more informative than what I got from the Physicians I saw in person for my problem. Julie Lockesburg, AR
  • You have been more help than you know. I seriously don't know what my sisters situation would be today if you had not gone above and beyond just answering my questions. John and Stefanie Tucson, AZ
  • I have been dealing with an extremely serious health crisis for over three years, and one your physicians asked me more questions, gave me more answers and encouragement than a dozen different doctors who have been treating me!! Janet V Phoenix, AZ

Meet The Experts:

  • Dr. Keane

    Dr. Keane


    Satisfied Customers:

    Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
< Last | Next >
  • Dr. Keane's Avatar

    Dr. Keane


    Satisfied Customers:

    Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
  • Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC's Avatar

    Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
  • Dr. Olsen's Avatar

    Dr. Olsen


    Satisfied Customers:

    PsyD Psychologist
  • Norman M.'s Avatar

    Norman M.

    Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA

    Satisfied Customers:

    ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
  • Dr. Michael's Avatar

    Dr. Michael


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Ph.D. Clinical Health Psychology with 30 years of experience in private practive and as a clinical psychology university professor.
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist


    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Steven Olsen's Avatar

    Steven Olsen


    Satisfied Customers:

    More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education