Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Dear Dr. Keane, I have been thinking quite a bit about the

Dear Dr. Keane, I have been thinking quite a bit about the fact that I view myself negatively. There was a time, I was a student and then after being a student got a job. Both as a student and my first proper job I would ask, not that many questions but if I was unsure about how to do something I’d ask. If I wanted to run an idea by someone I would and wouldn’t think anything of it. All the time what I didn’t know until later was that all this was being taken by the people who I’d ask whether it be especially a lecturer, mentor, professional it was being viewed as me being marked negatively. The questions were wrong apparently. I never saw how and let comments like that pass me by, I didn’t think 2 questions relevant to what I was doing was so wrong. A careers person was quite impressed by my motivation and my skills as we were going through careers stuff. I felt a bit abandoned by him after awhile. I managed to get work as you know. Both experiences left me feeling like I must be annoying and hopeless in some ways. Although mostly I do just get on with things, ask what I need to, I think however, some of it may have stayed with me and sometimes I think I wonder about my questions being silly; so perhaps that goes a little towards why I say things like hope I’m not annoying etc. I do know that clearly I do not annoy you and you must see me as being worthy enough to help. I am quite sure I am worthy and can’t be that annoying to people, not all the time anyway. I am extremely glad that you do help and want to give your support. I do see that as being good. I am trying to be positive and try to not look at myself so negatively. Working with you does help.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, interesting post but how do you know that everything was being viewed as negative? Could it be you asked in a defensive way or you assumed you were being received as annoying? The questions may not have been wrong it may be how you interpret responses.....and since that person (you) has grown so much over the years why are you revisiting this? I think you may just be trying to explain why you feel "annoying", which you aren't. Those feelings were related to your lack of self esteem. That person with low self esteem is gone, in her place is a confident young woman!

Hi, how I know wasn't because I asked in a defensive way, or at least not that I can recall but more because I was told. Apparently I should have known exactly what I was doing, which perhaps I did but just wanted to run things by someone as after all I was the one supposed to be learning. Also yes I was trying a bit to explain why I sometimes feel like I may be annoying. I felt that needed to. Thank you so much for not thinking me annoying and for seeing me positively. Thank you for replying. I hope that you are having a good week. Hope to talk to you one day soon, Busy week here as I am sure yours is too, so thank you for taking time to respond.

sorry, have not written the above very well at all as I tried to write quickly before I had to go out and now I have to head out again, but just wanted to say sorry for it not reading very well and that I'll try again when I get more time. I hope that you have a good weekend.