Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling

I have been having a relapse of my panic disorder and went

I have been having a relapse of my panic disorder and went to the psychiatrist yesterday for meds and dueto things that happened in my past she diagnosied me with bipolar(i am going for a second opinion) and never addressed my panic and i started googling bipolar disorder and read that during a bipolar rage u can snap and harm someone and being that my main panic fear is intrusive thoughts of going crazy and harming my daughter i am now at a all new high of panic. how common is "snapping"???????
Hi there,

I'm Alicia. I'm happy to help you today.

I can understand your concern, but from what you are saying, it sounds like your symptoms are mainly being caused by panic disorder, and your fear of snapping is based on your extreme levels of anxiety. It strikes me as a bit strange that you've been treated for panic disorder for what seems to be a long time and yet you've only been recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I think you might want to get a second opinion, especially since you say that your psychiatrist did not address your panic, which is really the most important issue I see going on here based on the information you've provided. One thing I would suggest is that you try not to google for too much information about this, because it can actually increase your levels of anxiety and cause you to panic even more - and much of the information you're reading may not even be appropriate to you. So you might be causing yourself needless worry. As far as "snapping" in bipolar disorder goes, it's something I would suggest that you try not to worry about, and that you discuss with your mental health care provider. It's somewhat common for people with bipolar disorder to develop feelings of rage and to lash out at those closest to them (or themselves), but this may not even apply to you. If you feel like you're in danger of "snapping" , however, then you should call your doctor as soon as possible and go to the nearest emergency room.

I hope that helps, and I wish you luck.