Ask Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC Your Own ...

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC
Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have a history of panic disorder, clinical depression and

I have a history of panic disorder, clinical depression and anger issues i have been to many therapists and psychiatrists thru the ages and have had at least 10 different diagnosis, I went to someone yesterday for my panic disorder that has recently flared up and was given meds for bipolar, due to questions i answered things that i have done and felt up to 30 yrs ago, nothing that has been an issue in the past 4 yrs or more, AND MY MAIN PANIC FEAR IS SNAPPING AND HURTING SOMEONE so of course googling bipolar HAS NOT helped my panic disorder :(, 1. how can one make such a diagnosis in 30 minutes? 2.and is it possible to have symptoms as this without bipolar(?i am a victim of verbal,emotional,physical abuse), all the people i know seem to be "bipolar" as if its the diagnosis of the day. 3. i was given seroquel xr 50 mg and took yesterday and had bad reaction :(. so confused and more scared then ever
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Can you tell me more about your current symptoms? Have they changed recently?

Thank you,

Kate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes they have the last time i had panic was 2 yrs ago and my relapse started about 6 weeks ago and getting worse

symptoms-intense fear, irriability, intrusive thoughts which intensifies panic, and afraid to sleep

Thank you for the additional information.

The symptoms you list sound like panic and anxiety to me. While it is hard to be sure given that I cannot do a full evaluation on you, I cannot see where you are listing any Bipolar symptoms.

Bipolar disorder is second most over diagnosed disorder currently (ADHD being the first). It is very possible that you were misdiagnosed, especially if this is the first time you have heard this diagnosis. The onset for Bipolar is usually between the ages of 14 to 25, with some diagnosis being later, usually up to mid 30's. It is very unusual that you have had so much exposure to therapists and psychiatrists and no one has caught this before now.

Although it is not difficult to make a quick diagnosis if the clinician is very experienced, a very thorough evaluation is the best way to be sure of an accurate diagnosis. It sounds like you may have not had a complete evaluation. If that is the case, you may want to question this diagnosis and see another clinician as soon as you can.

Seroquel is a broad spectrum medication that is given for many disorders. It does not necessarily treat just Bipolar. Common Bipolar medications include Lithium and Depakote. If you have had a bad reaction to the medication, you may want to contact your doctor and discontinue the medication.

It is very possible for you to have the symptoms you described without being Bipolar. Bipolar has specific symptoms to look for in diagnosing, and you did not describe any that concerned me. It seem that your symptoms may fit anxiety and panic better.

It sounds like you may need to get re evaluated to be sure of the diagnosis. I have worked extensively with people who have anxiety and panic and your symptoms sound much closer to those diagnoses than Bipolar.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.