DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
66179016

Hi there. We have some issues with my mother in law. She

Hi there. We have some issues with my mother in law. She has immigrated from China to Canada about 1.5 years ago. She's living alone and recently she has a lot of hallucination problem. Such as stating people are stalking her, fire balls flying in the living room, smoking seeping through the walls...etc.

We wanted to bring her a Dr and she refused. We tried prepping the Dr by going there alone first to tell the Dr. about the situation and the next appointment, we'll bring her along. Yesterday at the Dr. appt, the first thing the Dr. said was "so...your son said you have mental illness, let me ask you a few questions". She immediately got so mad because she said we're accusing her of being "crazy". The Family Dr said that's just her personality (i.e. she made up those hallucinations as lies just to get attention). However, we disagree with the Dr as she wasn't like this before. Now she refuses to go back to see any Dr. What should we do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrFee replied 2 years ago.

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

I am so sorry, that doctor was completely unprofessional, and was sabatoging

DrFee :

I think you should trust your intuition about your mother in law

DrFee :

However, getting her back to a doctor is going to be extremely difficult, and understandably so.

Customer:

we're suspecting she has schizophernia

DrFee :

I have had some trouble chatting today, so if you don't see responses every minute or so, please say so.

DrFee :

It does sounds that way.

Customer:

because the symptoms are sooo similar

Customer:

and we found out from her medication that she was actually taking Penfluridol 2 tablets a week.

Customer:

do u know what that is?

DrFee :

How old is she?

Customer:

70

Customer:

because she's from china....those penfluridol can be bought from pharmacy without prescription

DrFee :

That's a little scary

Customer:

what does those tablets do and cure?

Customer:

from googling online seems like it's for schizophrenia

DrFee :

They are antipsychotics --treatment for schizophrenia

DrFee :

But it is not a cure --

Customer:

is there a cure for schizophrenia?

Customer:

i guess now the question is....any suggestion as to how we can bring her back to a doctor?

DrFee :

Unfortunately, no. The goal is to try to get people to be as symptom free as possible.

Customer:

she even called 911 the other day because she said her neighbor are throwing gas bombs at her

Customer:

of course there was NOTHING....

DrFee :

It's going to be tricky to get her back to a doctor. I think that you have to address her bad experience with the previous doctor.

DrFee :

Since she is elderly --do you have a good Adult Protective Services dept in Canada?

DrFee :

Because, they might really be able to help.

Customer:

i don't know much about this area as i don't know anyone has this problem

Customer:

also the family dr made it seems like it's OUR PROBLEM of not taking care of my mother in law and just by living with her etc will help. but that's not the issue here

DrFee :

Where do you live? Maybe I can look up and see if you have Adult Protective Services?

Customer:

will a psychiatrist be able to help with this issue? what is the usual procedure of cure / or made her symptom free? because she already called 911....i don't know what she will do next. she also threatened us saying she'll leave the country etc....

Customer:

i live in vancouver, bc canada

DrFee :

Yes --Psychiatrist would be the right kind of doctor.

DrFee :

Antipsychotics would be the drug of choice

Customer:

so that penfluridol is not the right thing to have right?

DrFee :

It could be --but she really needs to have a psychiatrist determine that

DrFee :

And, it sounds like it's not working well, anyway.

Customer:

yes....and she kept on saying those hallucination are real. now she said we are working with the dr as a team to accuse her of having mental illness. i don't know how we can get her to step into a dr's office again

DrFee :

That's where I was thinking APS could help --maybe send a nurse or social worker to her apartment.

DrFee :

I'm still looking for them.

Customer:

thanks. i guess people with mental illness never admits they have problem. because she's also old....she's very stubborn as well

DrFee :

Yes --I think you are right. My geography is really poor --which Province are you in?

Customer:

BC

DrFee :

I'm having trouble finding it....still looking

DrFee :

OK --I think this is what you need: http://www.trustee.bc.ca/news_information/Adult_Guardianship.htm

DrFee :

They maybe able to help you to work with your mother in law to get treatment.

Customer:

okay. thanks for your help on this.

DrFee :

You are welcome, and best wishes --it's a very tough situation.

Customer:
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience: I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.