TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have been overweight or obese for 80% of my life. I am a

I have been overweight or obese for 80% of my life. I am a recovering alcholic/addict sober for near 28 years. I went to treatment for all of my problems including food and remained sugar and flour free for 2 years, Went back to treatment for my food addiction 3yrs later, and then had a gastric bypass, Its now 13 yrs later and I weigh 225 and are 5'2" and 62 years old. help? I cannot stay on a diet and am developing health problems

Hi, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you have tried many things when it comes to overeating, including surgery. That was a big step. It can sometimes be very hard to lose weight even when you put all efforts into it. Here are some ideas for you, just in case you have not tried them:

You may have tried Weight Watchers but just in case you haven't, it's worth a try. They approach eating in a healthy way. Most people are able to follow the program, get adequate support and change their lifestyle rather than just going on a diet. They offer support for emotional eating as well. Also, Overeater's Anonymous is the leader of the pack when it comes to overeating, there are many other support groups out there that can help you.

You may also want to try an online group, in person group or both. Here is a list of available groups for overeaters:

You may also find success with addressing your emotions through therapy. Sometimes overeating has more to do with your feelings rather than just a desire for food. Getting to the root of why you overeat can deal with the problem once and for all. And given that you had an addiction earlier in life, you may be substituting food for alcohol. It happens more often that people realize.

If you want to consider therapy, you can ask your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at

You also may want to consider self help. While support is the best way to go, working on this issue at home helps as well. Here are some resources to help:

Eating the Moment: 141 Mindful Practices to Overcome Overeating One Meal at a Time by Pavel G. Somov

Overcoming Overeating: How to Break the Diet/Binge Cycle and Live a Healthier, More Satisfying Life by Jane R. Hirschmann and Carol H. Munter

Overcoming Overeating: It's Not What You Eat, It's What's Eating You! by Lisa Morrone

Try your local library for these books. Or may have them for you.

You may also want to consider hiring a life coach to help you. Having someone to partner with, talk to and to guide you can make a big difference in your search to find a way to cope with overeating. Here are some sites to get you started:

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the answers helpful at all that you rate me with three or more stars? Anything lower results in a negative against my record (ratings are confusing, sorry!). And please let me know if you have any more questions so I can be sure you are happy with your answer. Thank you so much!