Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

I have been on cymbalta for three weeks - 30 ml for a week

I have been on cymbalta for three weeks -
30 ml for a week and then 60 ml. I have
discontinued it for two days now because of severe constipation. Had to stop abruptly because of the constipation. When will the withdrawal symptoms start or if they didn't start by now is it possible not to get any?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 2 years ago.

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your question. I'm sorry you had such a rough time with the Cymbalta! T%ypically, withdrawal symptoms from it begin within 72 hours, 1 week at the outset, because the half-life of Cymbalta is not very long (the half life determines how quickly it gets out of your system). Given that you have not had any symptoms in the last 2 days, if you have no symptoms in the next day or two, you are probably in the clear.
Dr_Anderson : However, should you have withdrawal symptoms, there are two ways (at least) to handle them:
Dr_Anderson : (1) "Gut" throught it, knowing they will go away after a few days to a couple weeks, or
Dr_Anderson : (2) Take 30 mg for a day or two and then stop.
Dr_Anderson : Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr_Anderson : Regards,
Dr_Anderson : Dr. Anderson
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much for your response. On day three I started getting naseaus so I went

back on 60 ml. yesterday (I couldn't find your answer until today) and the naseau went away. I didn't take any today, but i guess my question is, why would someone go cold turkey if the withdrawal may not subside for days to weeks when taking 30 ml for a few days would lessen these symptoms? Or am I misunderstanding you?

And would the process go quicker if I took 30 ml every other day?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Dr Anderson is not on line
Greetings, and thank you for the follow-on questions.

If someone goes "cold turkey" off the medications, the withdrawal may subside (if it happens at all) in days to a week, but if a person goes back on a dose, even a lower dose such as 20 or 30 mg, then they have to taper off of that one. It is usually more comfortable from a withdrawal symptoms standpoint, but the counter to that is the person is still on the medication, working their way down.

So, stopping suddenly equates with being totally off medicine but potentially having several days of withdrawal , versus going to a lower dose which equates to still being on the medicine longer than desired but not having significant withdrawal symptoms. (Yes, darned if you do, darned if you don't!).

Since you are on 60 mg, then dropping to 30 mg for a few days and then going to 30 mg every other day is one technique I use for my patients when they seek to get off Cymbalta or medicines like it. Another option would be to drop to 20 mg and then do that every other day for a week.

Please let me know if I may be of further service or if you have any other questions!

Regards,

Dr. Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist