Steven Olsen
Steven Olsen, Therapist
Experience:  More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education
45885103

If a nurse seeks treatment for drug addiction and is currently

If a nurse seeks treatment for drug addiction and is currently in employed, is the treatment team obligated to inform the board of nursing? What about a psychologist?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Steven Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Ethical professional codes of conduct are are very, very strict about confidentiality and drug use and reporting. Counselors, Social Workers and Psychologists are obligated to keep issues such as this confidential. The therapist will encourage the nurse to take a leave of absence, a different role that does not involve patients or similar. But, unless the nurse sates that they are intentionally going to harm another person or him/herself, this will not be reported. (In the United States this falls under a protected category and is even more highly regulated with confidentiality. Simply said...this fear should not be a barrier to treatment. Steven
Steven Olsen, Therapist
Experience: More than twenty years of expertise in counseling, psychological diagnosis and education
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a new issue. This time concerning me and my daughter. On Tues. she took alot of pills to attempt suicide. She is very smart and didn't take enough to kill her (she had plenty more apparently). She lives with her (fiance?) who found her kissing someone else. She does not work, had to quit school d/t inability to concentrate from all the adderall and other junk she was "prescribed " for narcolepsy which she never had but was dx'd with. She wants to live with me and husband which di not work last time. What do I do -she has no where else to go?and no $ plus 289.00 car pymt.She is in psych hosp to be released today or tomorrow.

Suicidal gestures (where there is a seeming attempt to commit suicide but something about the way it is done would prevent it or make it unlikely) are common in what is called personality disorders, especially one known as Borderline Personality Disorder. These disorders are long term and are often chronic in nature if the person does not get the proper treatment.

Often people with BPD place families into impossible situations such as this and expect to be rescued, only to sabotage the entire effort a short time later.

Usually what is recommended is to insist that the person follow up with aftercare, get into a treatment process that involves specialized care for personality issues, (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy is often used, called DBT for short) and then...letting other natural consequences, aside from those that would cause her safety to be compromised, to be permitted. This means strict deadlines for finding work, going to support groups and therapy, and allowing the car to be repossessed and other tough love approaches.

It is not easy to deal with this, and even professionals have a hard time with this issue. But it can be dealt with so long as she is not enabled in any way. She will not like it, but this is a time for strict rules and to closely follow them, even if it means losing things like her car, etc.

I also highly recommend The Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder: New Tools and Techniques to Stop Walking on Eggshells by Randi Kreger. It is inexpensive on amazon.com and is wonderful. It explains in simple language the nature of this issue and helps create systems that will allow her to get better without hurting others or herself.

Also seeking support through NAMI (national association for mental illness) is a huge help as they offer support for her reactions and instability. They can be contacted at www.nami.org

If you found this interaction helpful, please rate me three starts or above. Thanks again. Steven

Steven Olsen, Therapist