Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

Hi I am 18 years old. I am a track and cross country runner

Hi I am 18 years old. I am a track and cross country runner and am one of the best in the state. I am a top three student in my school. On may 25 my friends and I smoked marijuana as a one time thing to celebrate a successful cross country season and high school career. When I did it I had a severe panic attack and thought I was going to die. I felt like I would never break out of the horrible thing called a high. I had six puffs total. For the next five days I felt extremely weird. I felt like I was in a dreamlike state, detached, anxious, and unable to focus. I felt weird to the point of just lying in my bed. Then for a few days symptoms were on and off and sometimes I felt close to normal. Then symptoms returned worse than ever. It is three weeks later and I feel like I am in a dreamlike state, unable to focus, detached from everything, and very anxious/uneasy. I feel similar to when I was "high". When I was young I had very mild ADHD and obsessive compulsive disorder and was given medication for a few months in elementary. I think I have had mild obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety throughout high school but nothing that was diagnosed or out of the ordinary and felt/functioned completely normally. I am worried I have caused permanent damage by smoking once and will never feel normal. All I want is to feel normal again. My parents are extremely anti-drug and I am reluctant to tell them but will if I do not feel normal soon. I feel extremely weird but can hold it together to the point where my friends and family have not mentioned any strange behavior. I do not know what to do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for writing in here.
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.
It sounds like you smoked marijuana once.
You never feel the same even after three weeks later.
You have trouble focusing and feel anxious all the time.
Perhaps, you are very sensitive to effects of marijuana on your brain as you may have mild ADHD and anxiety like OCD.

Some people feel nothing at all when they smoke marijuana. Others may experience sudden feelings of anxiety and paranoid thoughts. Use of marijuana may also linked to depression, anxiety, and an amotivational syndrome, which means a loss of drive or ambition, even for previously rewarding activities.

Marijuana can cause:

problems with learning and memory;
distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch);
diminished motor coordination; and
increased heart rate.
But marijuana affects each person differently according to:
biology (e.g., his or her genes);
marijuana's strength or potency (how much THC it has);
the circumstances of its use and expectations of effects;
previous experience with the drug;
how it's taken (smoked versus ingested); and
whether alcohol or other drugs are involved.

I would advise you to see your primary care doctor for a physical check-up ASAP. Tell your doctor you smoked marijuana once and you are having these symptoms even now. Your doctor may help you to detox safely and appropriately.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist