Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Dear Dr. Keane, This is a little bit of what I wanted to chat

Customer Question

Dear Dr. Keane, This is a little bit of what I wanted to chat about. I am still hoping to chat but I know that it has been difficult this week as we have both been busy, although next week is a little quieter for me. A few days after the near fainting spell I started to get the sort of feelings I have when I do some deep breathing, which is sort of a bit relaxed and, actually I am not sure how to put it into words, maybe it's a less tense feeling in my back and I may have been a bit less nervous, but then, although I have been busy I haven't been in that many stressful situations. A couple near the beginning of taking this round, but then I felt that drugged up on them, especially then at the beginning of the 10 days. Then came the actual period, that was a bit different. I think I was maybe a bit less stressed until a couple of days ago. I was a little bit of a mess to say the least, but did calm down and felt better by the day after, but now I’ve just about finished the period anyway and right at the beginning I had a day when I felt all the anxious feelings but knew and hoped they’d pass, which they did ease by the next day again. Some days near the beginning I had started to blame myself a bit for the way I am or can be, wasn’t a mess so managed self-talk and moving on with the day. I have felt rather tired on the meds though. I am trying to be positive about them. I know my attitude was all wrong at the beginning of taking them. I do think that they did help a bit through the period and the little time before, there were perhaps subtle differences, so they perhaps do work. Doing all the deep-breathing and most importantly chatting/posting to you helps. I think it would be different in a negative way if all I did was take the pills and not have you to talk to. It feels more meaningful and pro-active talking to you instead of only idly taking pills with no backup and no support. I think that would be very a lonely place to be in. I would also like to talk more about this and the GP appointment as there are some things that I have since been thinking about it that I would like your opinion on.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 2 years ago.

Dr.Keane :

Hi, you here

Customer:

I am here

Dr.Keane :

bingo!

Dr.Keane :

reading your post again,

Customer:

that's fine.....thought I was never going to be here at the same time as you.

Dr.Keane :

you do have to get used to the medication, and try not to think too much about how you feel, just remember self talk and breathing, your anxiety will wane if you can relax!

Dr.Keane :

Tired may not be due to medication it could be due to cycle

Dr.Keane :

I would also write down questions you may have for the GP when you think of them, and bring them with you when your go back. That way you can't forget...

Customer:

there were some days when I didn't feel so anxious.

Customer:
Dr.Keane :

was a busy week!

Dr.Keane :

that's good, but what was the blame all about??

Customer:

I am considering changing the GP when I go for repeat prescription.

Dr.Keane :

one thing you need to remember is those times you are feeling stressed, know that they will pass and it's only temporary.

Dr.Keane :

why?

Customer:

I don't know why the blame was all about really, just was blaming myself for me being how I can be at times.

Dr.Keane :

well you need to stop yourself when you start thinking that way, useless thoughts.

Dr.Keane :

you are who you are and blaming yourself is pointless....remember, you are human!!!

Customer:

Why change the GP? because now I have thought about it more I don't think she had time for me. I thought initially it went well, got what I thought I would have anyway, but she didn't really give me too much info about the fluoxitine and nor did I think to ask any questions but then I don't think she had the time for any of that.

Customer:

I do know I am human. It was just a thought that I had that made me wonder if I was to blame that's all.

Dr.Keane :

Look, you are the patient and they are performing a service to you. If you felt that way and want to change fine, however, I'd give her another chance. You didn't ask about the medication and most doctors don't tell you much, none of them. If you go in with a list of questions, and act assertively I guarantee you she'll give you time and if she doesn't then you choose another, but I wouldn't expect much differently from another.

Dr.Keane :

You have to ask, you have to be assertive and let them know you aren't settling for a prescription and goodbye. You have the right to ask questions and if you don't she may assume you are okay.

Customer:

I had that similar sort of thought, just wasn't sure what to do. I'll think on that and maybe give her a second chance, she may have had a long day by the time I saw her.

Customer:

oh initially it was almost a leaflet about pmt and a goodbye until she thought about it.

Customer:

are you still there??

Dr.Keane :

Look, we have all had experiences with doctors where we feel "brushed" off or rushed. I had to find a new primary care doctor and the first time I saw her I wasn't impressed but then I needed a physical and just went back. That time she was great and that's my experience. I wasn't thrilled on the first visit but now I'm fine.

Customer:

It says Initializing next to your name.

Dr.Keane :

here

Customer:

that is useful to know.

Customer:

I hope all went well with your physical.

Dr.Keane :

sure did

Customer:

that's great!!

Customer:

:)

Dr.Keane :

So think again before you decide to change. It takes more than initial visit

Customer:

yes, you are probably right.

Customer:

I suppose she must have listened enough otherwise I would have been totally brushed off.

Dr.Keane :

like any relationship, you have to get to know a person. You are right, she may have been tired at end of that particular day, she may not have been 100% herself.....

Dr.Keane :

she listened and she hears this a lot I am sure. She knows the solution and you didn't ask anything ....

Dr.Keane :

therefore she thinks you are okay with her response and ends it

Customer:

yes, that's true, I suppose we don't know each other.

Customer:

I think I was okay with it at the time, it was only days after when I thought about it again that it just started to niggle that's all.

Dr.Keane :

Give it a chance and then make the decision to stay with her or change. You can spend a lot of energy doctor shopping and a GP is more of a gatekeeper anyway. If you needed a specialist that would be different.

Customer:

that's true.

Dr.Keane :

Having said that the better your relationship is with the GP the more apt you are to get referrals without jumping through hoops.

Customer:

do you have a sec? I am cold so would like to grab something warm for my arms.

Dr.Keane :

yes but not long, beautiful day and I have errands..

Dr.Keane :

warm and sunny here!!

Customer:

did you steal our sun???

Customer:

it's cold and wet and windy here today.

Customer:

I'm glad that you have it nice for a change, it's been the other way round enought times...

Dr.Keane :

we have had rain ad nauseum, today is a beautiful day and no humidity either...that comes mid week, and in the 90's then....today perfect

Customer:

sounds like you have a lovely day now.

Dr.Keane :

yes it is

Customer:

I hope the fact that it took so long to chat didn't annoy you.

Dr.Keane :

annoy me? why do you say things like that....that is something you need to work on....however, I did tell you ask ...hmmm

Customer:

work has been rather busy, always is right before we break up for the summer, and had extra hours at the library this week as well as usual job.

Customer:

I don't know, I knew it was a silly thought.

Dr.Keane :

You learned somehow to view yourself so negatively, you have to keep working on seeing you as worthy and not annoying. If we are chatting, we are chatting. Nothing annoying about it.

Customer:

I am trying to work on it.

Dr.Keane :

good.....I'm busy at work myself so I know the feeling. Trying to connect was tough this week due to time differences and my schedule/your schedule.

Dr.Keane :

I am going to sign off if you are done. I am glad we finally caught up.

Customer:

Yes I am done....Thank you and go and enjoy that nice weather and do your errands.

Customer:
Dr.Keane :

Want to get errands done so I can sit outside and read for a bit today.

Customer:

Enjoy your book.

Dr.Keane :

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX weather gets better for you! BTW, any torchwood news? Reading number 7 of Outlander.....

Customer:

I will be sure to let you know when I do hear anything about Torchwood.

Customer:

Nothing as yet.

Customer:

Did you ever watch Homeland?

Dr.Keane :

enjoying it but was more interested when it's about the herbs, medical stuff ..that was intriguing because a lot of today's herbs are what she used then...

Dr.Keane :

love homeland....

Customer:

that was really good, I've seen season 1.

Dr.Keane :

we are all waiting for the next season. He's amazing in that role....quite daunting and scary at times....ok, going to run....enjoy the rest of the weekend...

Customer:

okay you too and thank you!!! Talk again.

Dr.Keane :

ok

Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your time at the weekend. Our chat has given me lots to think about and to work on, but I think in a good way. I hope you got time to be outside to enjoy your good weather. Ours has improved but only for a few days. Talk to you soon!