TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

I have social anxiety disorder. Its not extreme, but it is

I have social anxiety disorder. It's not extreme, but it is very much limiting me, socially-speaking. Mostly, it is talking to new people or being in social situations with people that I am unfamiliar with - probably because I don't want to embarrass myself.

I don't drink, smoke, or do any kind of drugs, which a lot of people tend to do to become more relaxed in social situations. I don't want to have to, either.

I've worked on the problem on my own, and have improved significantly. However, there seems to have been a plateau to the progress (or hit a wall).

There are no social help groups locally, which seemed to be a good follow-up step.

I don't want to have to see a doctor or get on medication for this, if at all possible.
So, I'm looking for a list of ideas to help get over this problem, so I don't have to get on medication.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you have taken the initiative and helped yourself with this problem. You seem to have a good understanding of what social anxiety is and some things you can do to address it. But sometimes, anxiety can be caused by something in your background. It can affect you in many ways, some of which are hard to gain insight with unless you have input from outside.

Therapy is always a good option with any type of anxiety. Anxiety is highly curable with therapy. CBT, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, is very successful in reducing or curing anxiety. That is because anxiety is caused by your thoughts. And changing your thoughts can make a big difference. To find a therapist, try asking your doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at . You do not need medications unless you feel your anxiety is affecting you ability to cope with your everyday life.

You can also join on line groups which can provide support anytime you feel you need it. Here are some links to help you:

Here are some other resources that may help:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne

Insight and motivation are both important tools in recovery. And since you have both, you should do very well.

I hope this has helped you,