Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

I am a 68 year old male, married, and I am unable to achieve

I am a 68 year old male, married, and I am unable to achieve erections. I still have the strong desire for normal sex but am unable to achieve an erection therefore unable to achieve any real satisfaction. Is sex theropy real could it help me achieve erections.

Sex therapy is helpful when the cause for the sexual problem is of emotional/psychological nature.

If your MD had ruled out other physiological reasons i.e. testosterone levels, diabetes, etc. for the ED, then exploring other treatment options is reasonable.

Hypnotherapy is another therapeutic tool to consider depending on what you want to try.

Hypnosis targets the subconscious mind while counseling would be working with your conscious mind i.e. fears, emotional blockages, etc.

Hypnosis is really self hypnosis where you allow your body and mind to function at a relaxed state (your brain waves would differ ) in order to make the necessary changes.

American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists