Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

How does tranxene compare to klonapin for anxiety and pani

How does tranxene compare to klonapin for anxiety and panic?

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your question. Both clorazepate (Tranxene) and clonazepam (Klonopin) are long-acting benzodiazepines, but Klonopin is more potent than Tranxene. What this means is it takes a lower dose of Klonopin to do the same job - for example, 1 mg of Klonopin versus 3.75-7.5 mg of Tranxene. As for how well it works, both work very well, so it comes down to personal preference. Some patients find they tolerate one better over the other.
Dr_Anderson : I see you are offline right now, but hopefully this helps get you started. Please let me know if you have other questions!
Dr_Anderson : Regards,
Dr_Anderson : Dr. Anderson
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does either one of the medications have a more muscle relaxant effect or are they about the same in that regard?

They are both fairly similar in that regard. However, I have often found the less potent agents to be better at muscle relaxation and the more potent ones better at sedation. For example, when I have a patient with muscle spasms and anxiety, I'll usually opt for diazepam over clonazepam. Tranxene would fit in the same group as diazepam.