DrFee
DrFee, Psychologist
Experience:  I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
66179016

EMDR

EMDR
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrFee replied 2 years ago.

DrFee :

Hello! Please remember that my response is for information only, we are not establishing a therapeutic relationship.

DrFee :

I use EMDR, I can probably answer your questions.

Customer:

hi

Customer:

are you there

Customer:

hallo?

DrFee :

I'm sorry I was not online when you checked in. I will check in very late tonight and again tomorrow in the AM. If you post your question(s) I can respond more specifically. Thanks.

Customer:

hi

Customer:

are you there?

Customer:

my life destroyed because of trumatic event

Customer:

i had physical combat situatuin which was very hard on me,and since that day the fear grows and grows until i suffer many dissociated disorders as nightmares shy,and horrible anixety

Customer:

i lost feeling of safe

Customer:

i feel 24hr that am in danger

Customer:

i want to ask about EMDR why it is big mistry?!!

Customer:

some saying it is nothing,and others is suprier and like magic!!so how it is nothing clear about it

Customer:

am taking luvox

Customer:

150mg

Customer:

and intend to do both emdr and CBT

Customer:

but i want to know,can emdr bring my life back?my only problem is with trumatic aniexty

Customer:

???

DrFee, Psychologist
Experience: I help people overcome anxiety and enjoy life again.
Expert:  DrFee replied 2 years ago.

I apologize I was unable to come on-line yesterday.

The theory behind EMDR is that traumatic events are not processed and stored the same way that other events are processed, but rather remain "stuck" in our brains with all of the original thoughts, feelings, images, body sensations, and beliefs about ourselves. It's like pausing live TV --the event is "stuck," in a way that it should not be, causing all kinds of negative effects (which you are intimately familiar with) .

During an EMDR session both sides of the brain are stimulated in one of several ways --eye movements, tapping (legs or hands), or tones (in ears). You start with a distressing image and allow your mind to go where ever it wants. However, there's a lot of safety built into this process. One safety mechanism is what we call "dual awareness," where you maintain awareness of the present moment (room, person you are with, date, etc) while going to the past --but the goal is to never "get lost" into the past. Some describing as riding a train where you are going to drive past the traumatic scenery.

It's not that you don't feel any pain, fear, or other uncomfortable feelings, but you don't get lost in them as if you were completely there again. Also, there is always the freedom to stop at any time. Before starting EMDR we work a lot on relaxation and the ability to return to safety when necessary. The motto is "go in just as long as necessary to get the job done."

Here's a good website to read more: www.emdr.com

Please feel free to ask more questions --I will be on late tonight and tomorrow morning.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok how persentage range can emdr effect trumatic stress?because ptsd caused me dissoiciated identety disorder
Expert:  DrFee replied 2 years ago.

Are you asking how many people get well from using EMDR? EMDR is a little more complicated with DID, you really need to see someone who has experience in this area. There are a number of studies looking at EMDR, all with a variety of results claiming high efficacy to efficacy "equal to exposure therapy." There's one study looking specifically at combat victims that claims that PTSD was eradicated in 12 sessions.

However, you need to keep in mind that some of these studies report quicker results (fewer sessions) than many therapists note they have experienced in "real life."

History matters --DID is generally a lot more complicated than PTSD, and therapy is likely to take longer.