Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

I have been taking either 15 mg restoril or .5 mg Ativan

I have been taking either 15 mg restoril or .5 mg Ativan at bedtime almost daily for 9 years. Can I get off it? How? I am a reasonably healthy 71 year old female.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 4 years ago.

Dr_Anderson :

Greetings, and thank you for your question. Indeed, with being on these medications a long time, it is important to make sure you taper off them under the guidance and supervision of a physician. That being said, yes, you can get off both of them! It sounds like, from your post, that you do not take both at the same time every night, but alternate. Is that so? If it is the case, it might be easier for you to taper off than someone who has been taking both nightly for the same length of time.

Dr_Anderson :

I see you are offline right now, but wanted at least to get you started. Please let me know when you are back online so I may assist you,

Dr_Anderson :

Dr_Anderson :

Dr. Anderson