TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Because I was once hospitalized for 8 days as a result of getting

Because I was once hospitalized for 8 days as a result of getting assaulted, I avoid socializing because I get an uncontrollable fear that they might want to kill me. If a man asks me out, I think "what if he has a lot of enemies and his enemies kill me with him?" If a lady asks me out, I think "what if she is married or has a boyfriend, but is telling me otherwise?" How can I overcome these phobias? On one hand, I want to tackle this problem. Yet on the other hand, I'm afraid to. It's weird.

Hi! Thank you for requesting my help.

It can be very hard when you are assaulted to overcome the fears that go with it. I'm not sure if you have a phobia so much as you might have PTSD- Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. PTSD can develop when you are traumatized by an event or a series of events. This includes being assaulted. When someone is assaulted, they fear for their lives. They lose the control that they are used to as well as the normal boundaries that all people have in order to feel safe. Once you have been attacked, your mind can assume that it is always a possibility.

It is normal to be fearful of facing your feelings after being assaulted. But it is a necessary step so you can feel more in control again and reduce or eliminate the fears that are caused by what happened to you. Therapy can be a big help in working these feelings through. If you are not already in therapy, consider talking to your doctor about a referral. A therapist can provide the safe environment you need to talk about how you feel so you can feel better.

Also, consider self help. You can work at your own pace and with each step you take, you get closer to feeling better. There are numerous resources to help you. Here are some to get you started: - this site is geared towards military but it does have information that would help any person with PTSD

Think about joining support groups as well, either on line or in person. It can help you to find others who feel as you do so you do not feel so alone. And you also can find more solutions from those who are further along in their recovery.

Most of all, keep talking about how you feel. Journal your thoughts and feelings as well. That can help you process your fears and work them through. You can overcome how you feel and be able to go out again.

I hope this helped,