Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling
65143460

My dad was diagnosed with bipolar II, and adhd. We are VERY

My dad was diagnosed with bipolar II, and adhd. We are VERY similar in behavior and personality etc. How would I go about being tested for these? I was diagnosed with anxiety and major depression a few years ago.

Alicia_MSW :

Hello, I'm Alicia. I'm happy to help with your question today. If your dad was diagnosed with ADHD and bipolar II, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will develop these disorders too.

Alicia_MSW :

However, there is some convincing evidence that shows that both disorders have a genetic component.

Alicia_MSW :

In terms of getting tested for these disorders, your best bet would be to consult a psychiatrist or a licensed psychologist, as they are trained in testing and the diagnosis of mental health disorders.

Alicia_MSW :

There's not really a specific test for ADHD, but generally speaking, a doctor will conduct a medical evaluation to make sure you're not suffering from some other underlying disorder that can cause or mimic the symptoms of ADHD. The same is true for an eval for bipolar disorder.

Alicia_MSW :

There are certain, specific criteria that need to be met in order for a diagnosis to be made - and sometimes the symptoms of ADHD and bipolar can overlap - so it might not necessarily be the case that you have both disorders.

Alicia_MSW :

And of course, it might not be the case that you have either disorder. In any case, the only real way to tell is to have an evaluation. You can either ask your current GP for a referral to a psychiatrist, or you can use this website to find someone in your area (you can also find psychologists and other mental health professionals here:) http://psychiatrists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

Alicia_MSW :

or here: http://www.find-a-therapist.com/

Alicia_MSW :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Customer:

i suffer from cycles of depression, and sometimes extreme irritability & anger with those closest to me. i also have severe anxiety when i am stressed. I'm thinking by how I feel sometimes that I may be bipolar since I had no luck on any of the antidepressants that i tried. The meds always seemed to make me feel worse? So I'm not sure how to cope. Is it possible for another medical issue to cause symptoms that are comparable to bipolar or depression?

Alicia_MSW :

Did you see a psychiatrist or was it your regular GP who prescribed the antidepressants?

Customer:

I saw a psychiatrist and a therapist during the time I was on medication.

I also just had a 21 week stillbirth, so my emotions have gone crazy...just want to get control of whatever it is that I have.

Alicia_MSW :

Also, it could be bipolar, since you're mentioning severe anxiety and that the medication you've taken so far has not helped. With bipolar, antidepressants are usually prescribed along with mood stabilizers. You can read more about the different medications (if you are interested) here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bipolar-disorder/DS00356/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Alicia_MSW :

I'm sorry to hear about the stillbirth. I'm sure this is having an impact on your emotions, and if you have had symptoms of bipolar/depression, then this can certainly exacerbate those symptoms.

Alicia_MSW :

I would suggest that you talk to your psychiatrist again about the way you're feeling. The physical symptoms could be due to another disorder but without having an evaluation it's not really possible to say what that would be.

Alicia_MSW :

From what you're saying it's not sounding so much like ADHD, although sometimes, the symptoms of these disorders can look alike.

Customer:

could i still have ptsd? i had that several years ago due to sexual abuse.

Alicia_MSW :

You have a whole bunch of possibilities here, to be honest with you. It can be a combination of different disorders, of course, and if you have a history of sexual abuse, then you could have PTSD as well.

Alicia_MSW :

PTSD could be causing your anxiety, for example, and might make you feel like you have ADHD (trouble concentrating, difficulty paying attention, etc.)

Alicia_MSW :

But I just want to warn you that it can be dangerous to try to diagnose your symptoms on your own, especially if you're suffering from anxiety. It's good to be informed, but you don't want to increase your symptoms by doing too much research online without consulting a professional in person.

Alicia_MSW :

By that I mean that you can make yourself more anxious if you read certain information online and try to apply it to yourself.

Alicia_MSW :

Again, it's a good idea to get as much information as you can before you have an evaluation, but the only way to really tell for sure what's going on is to consult a psychiatrist. Please let me know if you need additional assistance.

Customer: