TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Kate, I scared to go to bed. Im afraid of the nightmares

Kate,

I scared to go to bed. I'm afraid of the nightmares and night terrors. One was enough. I slept all day. I guess I needed the rest. Plus it made the day go by quicker. But I am so tired. I just want to go to bed. But I am so scared. I know it sounds silly, but it's the truth.

Kathy
Hi, I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Hello! Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor and enjoy helping people help themselves. I hope I can be of help to you! I Am sure you are very frustrated and tired now. I really do hope I can help you get a peaceful night's rest. Please tell me more about your nightmares and what you have tried. Are there times when you sleep better. What is different then? These answers will help me maybe come up with a workable answer for you when I come back online.
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Experience: 25+ years helping people find solutions...
Kathy,

There is nothing wrong with being fearful of nightmares and night terrors. No one wants to face going to sleep only to be frightened by what they dream. It can make you try to avoid sleep.

I don't know if you are writing down your nightmares or not, but if not, you may want to try it. Writing them down takes some of the power away from them and gives you some control. And you can use what you write to explore what the nightmare is about and why you had it.

There are technique that you therapist can use in your sessions to take apart the nightmares and get to the meanings of them. Your mind is creating them because you have unresolved feelings and it is trying to work them out. Some of those feelings are probably intense, given what you have been through. By working through the nightmares, you can face those feelings while you are awake and take away any need for your mind to work through them.

You are not alone with how you feel. Try establishing a nighttime ritual that brings you comfort. Keep the same bed time, doing something relaxing like take a bath, don't eat before bed and keep your room cool and quiet. That can promote comfort and you may find going to sleep more appealing.

Kate
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.