Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor
65628425

I have a 19 year old son and he is having a lot of issues.

I have a 19 year old son and he is having a lot of issues. He was diagnosed with ADHD at age 3 and was medicated with the normal ritalin regimen. He had a hard time in school with learning disabilities. He also had trouble with making or keeping friends. In the early years the only developmental delay he had was never being able to pedal a tricycle and could not ride a bicycle until age 10. He had anxiety type behavior of rubbing the back of his head constantly. He is now having trouble with illegal drugs. Do you think he may have been misdiagnosed with ADHD. I am wondering, if he may have aspberger's. What do you think
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 4 years ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there! It is good to hear that he is getting the proper help right now... I'm sure this has been quite challenging for you, no doubt...

Customer:

It really has. I have dealt with a lot the past 19 years and alone I may add.

Heidi LPC :

When you mention aspbergers, the description you gave doesn't necessarily fit, but that doesn't mean it is or isn't. Aspbergers has similarities to autism, and I would guess the school would have caught this as a possibility early on. What makes you think of this particular condition as a possibility?

Heidi LPC :

And my spelling of it is wrong! It has been a long day!! ;-) Aspergers!!

Heidi LPC :

Here is a link to more info on the disorder: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aspergers-syndrome/DS00551/DSECTION=symptoms

Customer:

During the last month, he is in the third rehab facility. He is having difficulty with group. He became addicted to opiates to make him feel normal and to fit into a group. He cannot relate in a group, he either talks while others are talking or he zones out. He also has become fascinated with the guitar. He only plays certain chords from his favorites songs, over and over. I have been told lately from several people, including his father that, "there is something not quite right upstairs'. And I spelled Asperger's wrong also.

Heidi LPC :

Well, the group functioning issues fit, as well as the repetitive playing of the guitar... have you mentioned this to a neurologist yet? There could be some testing done to find out...

Customer:

No, thought I would research it before bringing it up to them.

Heidi LPC :

It is interesting that he has aged to 19 without any school professionals noticing this, unless it is so borderline that they just went with the adhd diagnosis. Out of curiousity, was he in a special ed. classroom or mainstreamed?

Customer:

We kept him mainstream, he did go to the resource classroom for math and when taking the yearly testing (can

Customer:

Sorry, did not finish. He was singled out in high school. He was put in a special class and all the other student's called him retarded.

Customer:

I made them place him back in regular classes.

Customer:

He can't even drive a car, due to anxiety (I guess). He has no license.

Heidi LPC :

With that information, you may very well be on the right track with your intuition. I would say that getting an assessment would be a great idea, for your own information. Aspbergers is not a disability that there is a medication for, so to speak, but the anxiety of the condition can be treated. The head rubbing, etc... is why he is using the illegal drugs; to self-medicate the anxiety. This can be worked through with the right medication. He is lucky to have you!!

Customer:

Thank you! I feel lucky to have him! I just want him to get the help he needs to have a productive life. Thanks

Heidi LPC :

You are very welcome! There is a ton of info on the web; keep looking and you will find the right help!! My very best to you!! :-)

Heidi LPC :

Good luck, and keep up the great work!! :-)

Customer:

Thank you very much!

Heidi LPC :

My pleasure!

Heidi LPC :

I am going to exit this chat now, unless you have any further questions?

Heidi LPC :

You can access the question in the "my questions" tab at any point again if you'd like.... thank you for using this site, and I wish you the very best!!