Heidi LPC
Heidi LPC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Licensed Professional Counselor

I was molested as a child of eight by a neighbor; I never told anyone and sort of dissoci

I was molested as a child of eight by a neighbor; I never told anyone and sort of dissociated it. Later after I was married I discoveed that the man I was married to was molesting my eleven year old daughter. The other two children do not believe that this occured. I divorced him in 1985, but the family still is torn apart by this. I have been disabled for nearly 20 years(partly because of the beating I received when I asked for the divorce. I am currently sixty-six. The elephant in our family living room is so big I have no ideahow to get help for my self, 0r how to help my children fully understand what happened. Any ideas?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Heidi LPC replied 4 years ago.

Heidi LPC :

Hi there! I hope to be of some assistance to you here... I am sorry you are still struggling with this heavy load, even after all this time has passed. I am wondering which part of this is still the most distressing to you? What are the memories and thoughts that continue to haunt you, and what is it about the situation that you have regrets about? Regret can sometimes be the thing that keeps us latched into a past circumstance, and finding a way to release the hold may be one of the keys to releasing your pain. I see that you are offline; I will wait for your return, and we can chat more then!