How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Suzanne Your Own Question
Suzanne, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 919
Experience:  LCSW, RN. Mental Health, Relationship & Parenting issues.EMDR, Hypnosis.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Suzanne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

ASK SUZANNE, My husband hasnt had a fulltime job in 4 years.

Resolved Question:


My husband hasn't had a fulltime job in 4 years. We have other problems as well. I am handling this the best way I can. My son has some medical issues, a retracted ear drum, he needs speech and physical therapy. I deal with depression. At a time when we could really use some positivity in our lives, i feel as though his family is doing the opposite. i have tried and tried to be good. tried and tried to be good to them. i just think i need to not allow myself to continualling get hurt by them. what do you think? Jen
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Suzanne replied 5 years ago.
It has seemed, since we've been communicating, that his family has been a source of distress, rather than a source of help or support to you. I'm so sorry to hear that your baby has medical issues--that must add to your stress quite a bit.

I agree that you need to protect yourself from further hurt by them. It may be better to find people on your side of the family (such as your mother, etc.) that you can go to instead for support.

It's necessary to keep cordial relationships with your in-laws, but that's probably as much as you can expect from them. Put your focus on people you trust to support you, and use them as your resources, rather than the in-laws. Perhaps talk to your psychologist about adding group therapy to your current treatment, so you have more people to confide in and get support from. You may also be able to find "young mother's groups" at local churches, or even on so you can enlarge your circle of supportive friends.
Suzanne and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you