TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Kate, I feel so bad. I feel so depressed today that I called

I feel so bad. I feel so depressed today that I called my mom, told her I was sick, and had her drive my daughter to school today. I feel like I can't face the day and that the only way through it is to go back to bed and sleep the day away.

I'm sorry I know how bad and weak this must sound. But sometimes I just don't have the energy to face the day. Usually when I feel this way I can manage the minimum and get dressed at least. What's wrong with me today?

I feel so bad lying like this to my mom but I just couldn't get myself moving. Now I have to feel bad about that too. When I went to bed, I didn't feel too terribly bad. Plus I wrote down your journaling suggestions in my journal so I would have it with me to use when necessary. I even asked for guidance when I went to church Saturday night because it is obvious I need some. Sometimes I wonder if God is listening to someone as unimportant and small as me when He has much bigger issues and people in worse situations like me to look after.

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry that you are feeling so down today. There are many reasons you could feel this way. One reason could be that the progress you are making in therapy has affected you to the point where you feel overwhelmed and are having trouble coping. Or that you are just having a down turn, which is probably only temporary.

You may need to give yourself the time to feel bad today. Some days are more difficult than others. The beginning of the week can see so overwhelming as it is that sometimes you just don't have a way to cope.

God does care about you no matter how small you feel. Sometimes feeling down can block those feelings because you feel if you are not lovable then everyone, including God, doesn't care. But feeling down does not change how God feels about you. He still feels the same no matter what.

What you can do is give yourself today. Try not to feel guilty about needing a day to yourself. Lay down if you need to, sleep and rest. Do the minimum that you can. Plan the day just around getting the most rest you can. If you can, try to keep your thoughts as positive as possible. Although you are giving your body the rest it needs and giving yourself permission to do so, your thoughts can still be positive. Try journaling like you have (it's great you are making progress with it!), plan something that is "no stress" to do tonight, like order dinner out and watch a movie. By giving permission to yourself to rest, you take away the extra burden of guilt and get the rest you need. Then see how you feel tomorrow.