Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

I would like to ask for help from Dr. Rossi and Kate McCoy,

Customer Question

I would like to ask for help from Dr. Rossi and Kate McCoy, M.Ed, NBCC, LPC and another expert who isn't Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC and Nurse72 so I can see what 3 or more can give me advise better on if it's possible in the same chat or message chat.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Rossi :

Dr. Rossi :

What do you need assistance with? The other experts you've requested will have access to this thread.

Customer:

I will wait for you to come online?

Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience: PsyD, LPC, CHt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And I will wait for the others to come online that can help me out as well as you.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.

Is it something specific you want to post now? Only one expert can post back and forth to you at a time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So how can I ask others to get involved and help me out as well as you?
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.

They will see their names as you've listed them (the same way I did) I'll assist you as best as I can.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/66n7p-schizophrenia-don-t-feel-doing-nothing.html?r=ems|2012-06-05|176

That's my past information if you forgot.

Elliott said am not lazy I can do certain things but I said I am lazy then since it's my mental illness like you said so that's why am asking you and the other experts and made a few mistakes twice and didn't understand me properly but careless not as careful as females so want another female expert to help me as well as the other lady I listed.

Another expert said am lazy don't use it as an excuse my mental illness so she gave me negative help here was the chat yesterday or last night in my time?:
Customer
You said before I see you want to become a movie director. Many creative people have mental illness and this actually is to their advantage when real creativity is needed. What steps have you taken towards this goal? I have done some thinking, creating, researching, advise and help from a friend onlne, looking at stuff online to do with movies and information brought film school dvd's that were from hollywood film school watched some but found it hard to take in the information also paid for some online classes but never got back to do any of them again trying to get better at least to cope if not cured. Been ill since those times i brought those stuff and in the last few years on the old medications. Been lazy because of my mental illnesses found out and found it hard to focus and get things done even near new medications or old ones but think took new medications or one type or didn't can't remember. Found it hard to concentrate or focus and remember stuff.

Nurse72 says:
6/10/12 11:05 PM
You should give school a try again after being on your new meds. Anything that's worth anything is going to take effort! It's going to be hard and it's ok
6/10/12 11:08 PM
Don't let one film school DVD get you frustrated. Those videos are trying to sell their school not tell a story. Its just a sales pitch DVD
6/10/12 11:09 PM
Being lazy is no excuse
6/10/12 11:09 PM
Anyone can be lazy Customersays:
6/10/12 11:10 PM
are you saying am being lazy and it's my fault?
Nurse72 says:
6/10/12 11:10 PM
You can be brilliant and be lazy or be brilliant and be successful
6/10/12 11:10 PM
No not at all
6/10/12 11:10 PM
You said you are being lazy in your post Customersays:
6/10/12 11:11 PM
yes because of my mental illnesses never got anything done was lazy with everything
Nurse72 says:
6/10/12 11:11 PM
Im saying don't use your mental illness to excuse being lazy
6/10/12 11:12 PM
Nobody is perfect, we all have faults Customersays:
6/10/12 11:12 PM
didn't do nothing
Nurse72 says:
6/10/12 11:13 PM
Mine are different than yours but i still have many faults and so does everyone
6/10/12 11:14 PM
Do you have a job now? Customersays:
6/10/12 11:14 PM
just a volunteering job
Nurse72 says:
6/10/12 11:15 PM
Thats great! What is a typical day like for you? Customersays:
6/10/12 11:17 PM
but the another expert said it's not my fault am lazy and so did my psychiatrist and care coordinator so why you saying i am you sound like my family saying it all my life saying no excuses for all your symptoms it's your own fault all your life you lazy and other stuff
Nurse72 says:
6/10/12 11:17 PM
No im not saying its your fault, I'm saying do something about it.
6/10/12 11:19 PM
Your mental illness makes you lazy I understand that. But you have to work through that lazy feeling. It will be hard but you can Customersays:
6/10/12 11:19 PM
i can only if i recover then i will be since am starting to feel less lazy now from the medications
6/10/12 11:19 PM
so it's the medications that are helping
Nurse72 says:
6/10/12 11:20 PM
You may always have that lazy feeling. Then what will you do?
6/10/12 11:22 PM
If you're a movie director in the middle of making a movie, you wake up and feel lazy one day. Would all movie making stop?
6/10/12 11:23 PM
That's the hard part Customersays:
6/10/12 11:23 PM
no because it's my passion
6/10/12 11:24 PM
i don't want to be like in the past i want to recover and really see if am lazy because of my mental illness
6/10/12 11:24 PM
can we chat tomorrow it's late here and am tried?
Nurse72 says:
6/10/12 11:28 PM
Yes goodnight. We can chat tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.
Let me go over this and I will post shortly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you and for the other experts also the other lady and and another lady expert who won't give negative feedback but honest and knowledgeable about my history and what am like now. Not like the last expert I mentioned in the last message.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.

I see now. What had happened is that perhaps this is perhaps due to anhedonia and you're using the term "lazy" when other people may misunderstand it. Being unmotivated and having low energy and poor concentration can indeed be found in different conditions both mental and physiological.

I do agree that one can try to do their best despite these problems. What is going to be the best for you may differ from another person with the same issues or someone without these issues. You're living your own authentic life. You know what your base line is (and your treating MD knows it most likely) That means- what is your usual level of functioning that is going to remain rather than get "cured."

By knowing what you can and can't do, you can set goals for yourself that would be realistic/achievable.

Anyone can have set backs- those who have any kind of an illness as well as those who do not. How one deals with this is what would lead to overcoming these set backs.

You're able to do your volunteer work and that shows a level of commitment, consistency and ability to do the work. And, you can go by those things that you've already achieved to decide what other things would be possible/doable for you to accomplish over time. Staying proactive would be of importance. Meaning- not giving up when disappointed or when things don't work right away. It also means, changing one's goals when needed. Making these goals something that you can remain interested and stimulated in pursuing. You can think of a saying by Confucius- "our greatest glory is not in never falling down, but in rising each time after we fall." That is how life is - with ups and downs for everyone.

Anhedonia definition - Mental Health Disorders on MedicineNet.com

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is do you mean by?: (and your treating MD knows it most likely) and are your not saying am unmotivated either since each person even with my mental illness might be different from me by being motivated and your saying don't compare myself to others and that type of person?
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.

When you've mentioned that

"6/10/12 11:17 PM
but the another expert said it's not my fault am lazy and so did my psychiatrist and care coordinator..."

Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Your experiences are your own that you've been struggling with. What is the similar is the presence of anhedonia. How you deal with that is individual to you. Others may be doing it differently since people have different coping skills.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What I meant was the other expert said don't use lazy as an excuse for your mental illness since you can work towards it and what she wrote was If you're a movie director in the middle of making a movie, you wake up and feel lazy one day. Would all movie making stop?

That's nothing to do with me since am ill now she isn't very helpful that other expert and doesn't understand me being really and negative i mean?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is she right what i last typed?
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.
Anhedonia is different than laziness. Maybe she means that a person can try to do their best in either scenario. Both are situations that can be addressed. I think that may be what she was trying to convey.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So she's saying am not lazy then?

What did she mean by?: Maybe she means that a person can try to do their best in either scenario. Both are situations that can be addressed.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.
Both anhedonia and laziness can be addressed by the person (you) who is struggling with them. Anhedonia is a clinical condition. Laziness could be seen as a choice. Even though the seem alike, they are not. Yet, both - a condition and a choice can be things you address (focus on working through). No one seems to be implying that you're lazy because you have been trying to work towards certain goals and, you also do volunteer work. Someone who's lazy would not be doing volunteer work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well in the past before I did jobs even though I had paranoid schizophrenia and OCD all my life. During 13 and 17 tried to look for jobs and at 16 just to make money in all of them really so I can spend it on what I want. Wanted a part time job had nothing to do since didn't know I was ill. Wanted to work in the weekend but only got the newspaper boy or round job at 13 and KFC at 17 worked til late at night or varied but struggled getting along with the people there and they were mocking me, whispering about me after the 1st day the team leader one of them to the other team leader.

Because I walked a bit strange until I started to take medication(s) and spoke posh and didn't know how to do the tills just ended up throwing the rubbish away and cleaning tables and the floor. Another time after the team leader whispered in that other team leaders ear the 2nd day before, he said to the staff see i told you he will come downstairs or see what i mean i told you about him i was going to the toilet then quickly came down because their was a customer at the drive in, had an electronic device.

When I was working at the till first few days I couldn't understand even something simple what the customer said I want this type of ice cream so many times then I had to ask for help that guy in the drive way was laughing out aloud when he left straight away driving and finding me funny during time servicing him and speaking posh. Another time another team leader said arrange those shoes i said it's not my job he says your employed to clean so you must do that, then I had to do it listened to him but i did some then thought am not going to do that it's ridiculous so I stopped it's not my job.

At the start that team leader he was alright friendly to me then he got promoted to team leader and was a bit stuck up like thinking am high class and better than you and ask me to do this and that.

I don't know why I was unmotivated by education even though wanted to learn and study like a normal person and unmotivated for anything i enjoyed during outside studying but found it hard to stick to it focus and get it done or even having success in anything during my whole life. Couldn't remember learning stuff in primary school after 3-5 years old start and focus or concentrate properly even during secondary school 11-16 got worser. Does that mean am unmotivated since the job times i worked but quit the KFC one and newspaper job since it was a holiday job and the KFC one wasn't learning anything so quit it did it for 4 weekends so 1 month almost?

It's just I listened to my sister saying if you work their and succeeded at the end of the holiday you will say i grinded my teeth and got all this money from the holiday job. My sister said am very disappointed with you your not successful now and you failed. My Mum knew that I couldn't do it not because i was ill since no one knew that my whole family i was ill but told her he can't do fast food she said yes he can give him a chance I shouldn't have listened to my Sister's advise always had from the KFC job to buying this pc ended up both times having problems.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.

Some tasks are not as stimulating/interesting as others. That applies for jobs as well. You could of found yourself disinterested because of some of those experiences. Then, there are the memory and energy issues you're having because of your psychiatric conditions. All of these factors ought to be taken under consideration.

A person can learn things without necessarily having to sit in a classroom.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean?: A person can learn things without necessarily having to sit in a classroom.

What do you mean by the rest?
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.
People learn through experiences, they learn by reading and getting to speak with others. That is what was meant that a person does not only learn in a classroom. A person learns through other means- they read on their own, watch educational videos, etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But what I want to know is my sisters and mum mainly seem to think am lazy all my life because i didn't pass my exams in secondary school and after that college college passed but not fully only one course my dad told me to do otherwise wouldn't have done it.

I should have learnt in classrooms like all the other people in my class did and they passed or get higher grades than just passing.

Does that mean am lazy or unmotivated my whole life in education and from what I said so far for what I like to do outside of studying and giving up on both studying and outside of studying?
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.
You have to accept that people even family, can have different opinions. Your mother and sister are not trained in mental illness/pathology to know that what you're experiencing is a real condition- anhedonia. Each person is unique. No one should compare another to someone else. It does not mean that you're lazy all of your life. It means you've had difficulties w/ concentration and other symptoms to do what you wanted to do or what your mother/sister thought you ought to be doing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Didn't quite understand what you meant here?:

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.
Not sure how to better relay this- you don't need to sit in a classroom at school to gain knowledge through life. Going to school is one way. The other ways are - reading, practicing different skills w/ others, through videos and your own experiential experiences.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But people and my family say the only way you can learn is by going to schools and colleges and universities to graduate and get a job in what you want from that otherwise they say people who learn at him isn't as good as lectures and classes?
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.
People have different opinions. That is the opinion of your family.
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience: PsyD, LPC, CHt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But everyone else in the world and it's proven in life how you going to learn if you didn't go through schools, colleges and universities because everyone in the world does from when they start primary school to secondary school and to College if they want to and universities if they want to because they won't have the qualifications is what i mean if they want to carry on further and to get jobs usually it's been that route all of life or since people first invented schools?

Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.
You can decide what to believe as well. I don't have anything else to add.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also the mental illness I have paranoid schizophrenia and OCD did it stop me from learning since mostly my memory was poor and I couldn't focus or concentrate properly and English was poor didn't read books because didn't like to don't know why now I do since the last few years found some extra support online to help my english but all my life i was unmotivated with anything even reading books, my whole family mostly Mum and 2 sisters said i don't want to learn and lazy or unmotivated but they said lazy when my big sister taught me maths i got stressed out or angry because i couldn't understand it and take in the information before i was 11 years old, so a child i needed extra support in even first year of secondary school and near the end of primary school. They said am lazy for everything all my life making up excuses even though I told them am ill to now.

In life during a teenager i always got angry after secondary school after being bullied and punching, kicking the walls and shouting my other sister said why do you always take your stress out at home and don't deal with it then always doing it everyday if you don't like the school leave it but later i was kind of alright didn't understand how to defend myself couldn't think properly that I should have dealt with them i think and scared of people.

Does that mean I have paranoid schizophrenia and OCD since I was born?
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it ok to still ask this same expert?
Dr Rossi wrote that she has nothing more to add, and has opted out. If you still want an answer, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry did I do something wrong that's why she doesn't want to answer me anymore?
No, The Professionals are sometimes very busy and must opt out to atend to their work. If you still want an answer, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will contact another expert myself. Thank you.
You are very welcome. Have a wonderful day! :-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a new account with justanswer just to let you know mangawill2 for difficulties i had with using this account so that you know it's me.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for letting me know; will keep that in mind.