Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

My 16 year daughter has been battling symptoms of chronic depression

My 16 year daughter has been battling symptoms of chronic depression for several months now and recently took a turn for the worse, starting about two weeks ago but particularly intense in the last week. She's been missing school. Some days she lies on bed all day not watching TV, reading, going on internet or any other activities she usually enjoys. When she comes home from school she is sometimes crying and has hours long crying jags some nights. We brought her to urgent care the other night and the on-call therapists did not judge her level of depression to be severe which surprised us. She received a prescription for Klonopin on a take as needed basis for anxiety. She has had a very rough weekend so far so we have also started her on St. Johnswort and will be trying to arrange for counseling next week. My question is, is there something else we should be doing, and are we doing anything wrong so far?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

The St. John's Wort may not be sufficient in cases of severe depressive disorder. It is mostly used for mild depression.

The antianxiety medication would only target the anxiety not the mood. It may be helpful to have her see a psychiatrist to assess for antidepressant medication.

Other things that can be looked into would be whether or not her depression worsens around her cycle as this could be PMDD. If she had not had her thyroid checked or had a full blood panel test, it would be a good idea to have these done.

Not sure which therapist determined that her depression is not severe enough. If she does not have a regular counselor, connecting with someone is going to be beneficial besides medication management. Depression can be caused by different factors and determining the correct ones can lead to proper treatment. You're not doing anything wrong as you're searching for options to help her.

Try to encourage her to go out and engage in certain activities. Even if it is going w/ you to the store or for a brisk walk.