TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

Hi Kate, I am going to see my therapist in a couple of hours.

Hi Kate,

I am going to see my therapist in a couple of hours. I had a horrible memory come back to me in a nightmare. I usually get night terrors where you don't remember anything but this time I remembered too much,

I would like to discuss it with my therapist but we both know how difficult it is for me to start discussing important issues. I waste valuable time that she could be helping me.

Do you have any suggestions how I can speed myself up. I want to tell you but am not ready even to write about it. There is a horrific image that comes with the memory.

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a horrible nightmare. Nightmares usually indicate that your mind is trying to work out a complex problem or, as in your case, something about the trauma you suffered.

If you feel you cannot write out the nightmare, then you might want to try writing around it. By that I mean talk about the nightmare, but leave out the details. Here is a sample of what you might write:

I had a nightmare last night.

It scared me.

It was dark and creepy feeling

You don't need to write what happened in the nightmare, just what it felt like. You can also describe how you felt when you woke up.

Your therapist may want to know more about the nightmare and this might be a good time to bring up that it upset you so much that you can't talk about it. This can be a discussion in itself. What about it is making you so frightened? What does saying it out loud mean to you? You and your therapist can explore how you feel about expressing the dream so you understand what affected you about the dream itself. When you feel comfortable, you can then move on to talking about the nightmare's contents.

I hope you have a good session,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so much Kate. I feel much more equipped to deal with this now. Your outline of how to talk around it is a great idea,

Thanks you because now I don't feel quite as anxious about going. Still anxious. But definetly I feel better.

You're welcome, Kathy! I hope everything goes well today and you get a chance to work this out.

Talk to you soon,