TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

Hi Kate,I have a question for you.....do you think it is

Hi Kate,

I have a question for you.....do you think it is true that sadness is anger turned inward?

I have lots of both emotions. But sometimes I can just imagine totally losing control of my anger. For example, I imagine smashing into the car in front of me. Not doing it, just thinking it and how good it would feel to let that anger out.

I seem to show sadness much more. Plus my symptoms of sadness show more as well. I usually keep a pretty tight lid on the anger.

Kathy
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 4 years ago.
Hi Kathy,

Yes, it is true that sadness can be anger turned inward. That is not always the case, but it can be in certain situations. If you are feeling anger and not expressing it, you can become very sad.

Anger left unexpressed has to go somewhere. People who do not express their anger usually have a reason. Some were taught that anger is not acceptable to express, others feel it is not socially appropriate (this is especially true of women who often, by society standards, are put down and called names for expressing anger) or they are fearful of their anger.

You may want to try exploring your anger. Next time you feel it, try to hold on to it. Rate it from one to 10. Ask yourself why you feel angry and what are the thoughts going through your head while you are angry. Make a list of what kinds of things make you feel angry and how angry you get about them. For example, a social injustice makes some people angry. Or seeing someone get hurt. Others feel angry at someone in their life for hurting them. By exploring what does make you angry, you can learn more about what you feel and how you express your anger.

Once you learn more about how you process your anger, you can start looking at the times you repress it and it turns into anger.

Kate