Alicia_MSW
Alicia_MSW, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Specializing in mental health counseling
65143460

I am going through a period of uncertainty after losing my

I am going through a period of uncertainty after losing my job.. I am not exactly poor, but I can't help not worrying. I sleep well when I go to bed, but I wake up very early with racing heart.. it happens everyday and it's started to bother me and worry me even more.. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Alicia_MSW replied 4 years ago.

Alicia_MSW :

Hello, I'm Alicia. Thanks for your question. I'm happy to help. What you're experiencing is not entirely uncommon in someone who's just lost their job. Some level of anxiety is normal in a situation like this - it's normal to worry about the future and practical considerations (even if you're not having financial troubles right now.) There are some tips I can give you that might help, if you will just give me a moment.

Alicia_MSW :

If you feel like your anxiety levels are becoming uncontrollable or they are starting to interfere with your functioning, you may wish to speak with your doctor or a mental health professional. Sometimes, even situational anxiety can become worse if left untreated - medication or psychotherapy (even for the short-term) can be helpful.

Alicia_MSW :

Exercise is an excellent self-help method for relieving anxiety, so I would suggest that you continue your regular routine.

Alicia_MSW :

Cognitive-behavioral techniques, such as adjusting your self-talk, reassuring yourself that things will work out, trying not to go into panic mode, and realizing that there are certain things you can control, certain things you can't, can be helpful. It might sound trite, but a lot of times, worry occurs because we feel like we have more influence over a situation than we really do. In terms of worry and self-talk, you might find this information from Help Guide useful: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm

Alicia_MSW :

If you are interested in holistic or nutritional remedies that can offer temporary support, the Mayo Clinic has a list of supplements that may help symptoms of mild to moderate anxiety: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anxiety/DS01187/DSECTION=alternative-medicine

Alicia_MSW :

And some additional tips, such as dietary considerations, getting enough sleep, and using relaxation techniques: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/anxiety/DS01187/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

Alicia_MSW :

Engaging in a regular stress management practice can help you calm down and alleviate some of the physical symptoms you are reporting (the racing heart, waking up early, etc). Some techniques that are useful include yoga, meditation, guided visualization and deep breathing. Not to overload you with information, but you may also find this information helpful: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_relief_meditation_yoga_relaxation.htm

Alicia_MSW :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Customer:
Alicia_MSW :

Hi there, it seems that we are having a technical problem that is preventing me from seeing your replies. I am going to switch our conversation over to a question and answer format so that we can correspond that way. Thank you!

Sorry that our chat was interrupted. Please feel free to reply to this message if you need additional help.