Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families

If a child had the Bender Gestalt and the score age is 5.8

If a child had the Bender Gestalt and the score age is 5.8 with a standard score of 51 and this child is 9.6 years of age. What does that actually tell me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for consulting JA,

Your interpretation of this score is not correct. The 5.8 is not an age equivalent but rather a raw score that does not mean much in itself. The standard score of 51 is a more meaningful score as the average standard score is this is much lower than average.

The Bender Gestalt is a measure of visual-perceptual-motor ability. The child is asked to draw (copy) a number of geometric patterns. This is only one test in a battery of tests and should not be interpreted alone but rather as one piece of a puzzle that has many pieces (tests). There are some aspects of the Bender that can indicate organic brain abnormality (if the reproductions are rotated, for instance).

When a child has trouble in this area it can indicate that learning through the visual mode (pictures, graphs, maps) is difficult. It may also be difficult for this child to use building toys such as legos or put puzzles together.

Do you have any other scores?

If not, please interpret this result with caution.

I hope this helps,
Hello again,
I misread your post and I see that 5.8 is the age equivalent. So you are correct that she is like a 5 to 6 year old in her visual motor abilities. But that does not speak to her other abilities....such as verbal or intelligence (mental abilities).

Sorry for the misread....