How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5776
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I have been granted guardianship of my seven

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have been granted guardianship of my seven year old nephew. His father (my brother) died 5 years ago from cancer and his mother has a drug addiction problem, which she is not seeking help for. How should we determine what he will call us if we do not feel that Aunt _____ and Uncle _____ is appropriate? He will be an only child for us.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.


One option you can try is to ask him what he wants to call you. He is old enough to have some ideas of what he might like. If he gets stuck, make some suggestions. Instead of Dad, your husband could be called Pop for example. Or instead of Mom, you could be Ma, or a derivative of mom. Sometimes a nickname works instead of Mom and Dad. Or you could use a derivative of Aunt and Uncle. Some kids even call their parents by their first names, but you need to decide how comfortable you are with that idea.


The idea is to make the decision together so everyone feels comfortable. Your son will feel more a part of your family if he is included in the decision.


I hope this has helped you,

TherapistMarryAnn and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions