TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

My husband and I have been granted guardianship of my seven

My husband and I have been granted guardianship of my seven year old nephew. His father (my brother) died 5 years ago from cancer and his mother has a drug addiction problem, which she is not seeking help for. How should we determine what he will call us if we do not feel that Aunt _____ and Uncle _____ is appropriate? He will be an only child for us.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

One option you can try is to ask him what he wants to call you. He is old enough to have some ideas of what he might like. If he gets stuck, make some suggestions. Instead of Dad, your husband could be called Pop for example. Or instead of Mom, you could be Ma, or a derivative of mom. Sometimes a nickname works instead of Mom and Dad. Or you could use a derivative of Aunt and Uncle. Some kids even call their parents by their first names, but you need to decide how comfortable you are with that idea.

The idea is to make the decision together so everyone feels comfortable. Your son will feel more a part of your family if he is included in the decision.

I hope this has helped you,