Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist

My 11 year godchild was told he has brain damage from bacterial

Customer Question

My 11 year godchild was told he has brain damage from bacterial meningitis as a two month old infant, he has cone dystrophy as well, also they think attributed to the meningitis. He is very very intelligent and learns quickly even with the sight probs, but he is prone to violent outbursts and "curses like an adult"...saying things very inappropriate for his age and the fact he's been sheltered away from such elements. His parents are at wit's end tonight as he has for the last year become increasingly more and more destructive of the home and things in the home...When he is not in an outburst, he is very gentle speaking and loving...He is on Klonopin, Seroquel and Lexapro...now...Don't know what to do anymore...Any suggestions will be appreciated at this point to seek further treatment as I'm afraid he will hurt his parents. m
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about this boy's situation.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Does he have any medical condition now?
Does he have learning difficulty?
Are these medications helping him?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, just what is described in the note above. He has no learning difficulty; very bright and navigates a computer better than most adults since the age of 5...I would think the only one heloing is the one he takes to fall asleep at night!
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your response.
May I ask another question?
What is his diagnosis? Bipolar disorder or ADD/ADHD or something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
intermittent ? outbursts...they said the part of brain controlling his emotions was damaged by the meningitis
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you made a diagnosis?
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
It sounds like this boy may have intermittent explosive disorder.
Then, I can understand his occasional violent outbursts.
Individual therapy, group therapy, parent education, and nutrition can be helpful. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) helps people with intermittent explosive disorder. CBT will identify which situations or behaviors may trigger an aggressive response. He can learn anger management techniques and relaxation exercises.

They can call your insurance company and get a list of providers in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychotherapist or a counselor on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to (http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/ppc/prof_search.php?iorb=4764) and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Anger management and children. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Anger management counseling or Cognitive-Behavior therapy (CBT) and children.
You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that he wants to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So they can see it as an informational meeting. They can ask any question. They can also negotiate psychotherapy fee and number of sessions.
If they need a low fee counseling or have no health insurance, they may call The United Way toll free # XXXXX (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in their area in which he can get counseling even without health insurance.

Regarding pharmacological treatment for depression, a number of medications are available to treat intermittent explosive disorder.
Finding the right medication for him will likely take some trial and error. It is necessary for his parents and his doctor to work together to find the right medication for him.

Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve his brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate self during daytime.

Physical activity increases blood flow to his whole body, including his brain. This may help improve his mood.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve his mood.

I hope this boy can manage anger and wild mood swings better over time with all available help from hid doctor, a child psychologist/psychotherapist, and a specialist.

Please let me know if you have more questions or I have overlooked any. Warm regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One doctor told her to lock him in his room from the outside...Another said to put him in "jail" a real jail! She's thinking her only recourse is institutionalization, which another suggested...Tonight he destroyed their laminate floor in the living room with a metal plant holder which he broke apart...she mentioned that the whole floor has to be replaced...there are holes...He's only 95 lbs at present..Is it common in this condition to "wish they were dead" or dream up stories like, you are not my parents, you killed my parents...And I am doomed...The cursing just blows my mind, terrible words for an otherise gentle little soul..Could the drugs have such side effects, he takes them at different times of the day, as I understand...
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
This is a very sad situation. I wonder if these medications are not helping him. Seroquel is used to treat schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. It may cause a behavior change as a side effect.
They should report his behavior change to his doctor, though his doctors seem to know it already.

Does he have Bipolar disorder as well? Seroquel is used to treat schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.
This boy needs ongoing treatment in an outpatient or inpatient setting.
Bipolar disorder is dysregulation of mood, attention and energy.
Children with Bipolar disorder typically exhibit temper tantrums, outbursts, meltdowns; irritability, depression, and ADHD symptoms like hyperactivity and distractibility.

Please review available Bipolar disorder treatments on the following link:
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder/complete-index.shtml#pub8

Ideally, he may need to be treated by a specialist in juvenile bipolar disorder.
Stanford University School of Medicine has experts. You may contact them and ask for a specialist in your area.
Please review - http://bipolar.stanford.edu/patient.html

Or call Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance(NNN) NNN-NNNNor The National Alliance on Mental Illness(NNN) NNN-NNNNto find experts (psychiatrists and child psychologists) in their area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm fairly certain my niece has reported the obvious deterioration in his condition since the introduction of all of these drugs, but they seem not to attribute the even worse behavior on the drugs...frankly, any drugs I take do not have a positive effect on myself, that is why I avoid most all except bp and glaucoma meds! With his eyesight probs he doesn't get out doors except to swim with his mom....
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I'm so sorry to hear about this boy's situation.
I'm not sure of how long he has taken these meds.
But, Seroquel may cause side effects such blurred vision and altered consciousness. It's possible these meds or some may not work for his condition.

If he is breaking his parents' property and dangerous to self and others like this, call a local mobile crisis team or psychiatric emergency response team designated by his city and county to initiate psychiatric assessment and involuntary hospitalization.
Or, seek help immediately. Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) to reach a 24 hour crisis center or dial 911 for immediate assistance.
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Experience: PsyD Psychologist
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the info and will pass it on to my niece as she has an appointment with a new doctor for my god-son tomorrow...I just pray this is the one that can help them as my niece's husband is in need of a cardiologist and is diabetic and has been in crisis for the last several days...waiting for the name of the dr. for him as we speak...Thanks again!
Expert:  Dr. Olsen replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.
I pray for your godson. I hope he finds a good doctor and gets appropriate treatment.
All the best,