Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist
66203730

I am 19 yerars old and just saw a psychiatist about the severe

I am 19 yerars old and just saw a psychiatist about the severe panic attacks and feeling of despair I have. He said I should take ativan to help me now and Lexapro in the future. I read that Lexapro can be addictive and can cause suicide in people under 24. I am afarid to start the Lexapro and the doctor is not a available today to answer my question. Should I take the Lexapro?

Dr_Anderson : Greetings and thank you for your question. Actually, the Ativan has a much higher risk of addiction than does the Lexapro. I have never treated or had to treat a patient for Lexapro addiction. What the articles you read may be referring to is that it is necessary to wean off Lexapro when it is stopped, to avoid side effects. But this is not the same thing as addiction, since many prescription meds have to be weaned off rather than stopped "cold turkey." Regarding suicide, the information is referring to a study in teens taking this kind of medicine, not Lexapro specifically. They found an increased incidence of people feeling suicidal, but not an increased incidence of the teens actually acting on that.
Dr_Anderson : One theory why this happens is that medicines increase a person's energy level before their mood comes back to normal. So, if your energy is poor, and mood is poor,but now energy is higher, en ere is energy to focus more on the poor mood.
Dr_Anderson : So, for you, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is, yes, please do begin the Lexapro. If you have any side effects or concerns about side effects, be sure to ask your doctor about them.
Dr_Anderson : Presuming you can get ahold of them!!
Dr_Anderson : I hope this helps. Please let me know if I may be of further service!
Dr_Anderson : Regards, XXXXX XXXXX