Dr_Anderson
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience:  Psychiatrist

My son just started taking prozac for his OCD and General ANziety

My son just started taking prozac for his OCD and General ANziety Disorder 2 days ago.
He is taking .05 the lowest dose you can take he is 8. How long does it take to see a mood change in a good way? His doctor told me if everything was going well meaning no bad side effects to increase to 10 miligrams in 7 days.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr_Anderson replied 2 years ago.

Dr_Anderson : Greetings, and thank you for your question. While every person is different, the rule of thumb is that one may see positive results in as few as a couple weeks, but generally we don't expect to see them for 4-6 (and in some cases even longer) in most people, including. Children.
Dr_Anderson : Since he is on 5 mg, it is very reasonable for your doctor to have him wait a week until moving up to 10 mg.
Dr_Anderson : Most people with OCD need higher doses of Prozac than those using it for depression. Given your son is 8, 10 mg may actually be perfect.
Dr_Anderson : However, the benefit of time is important. In order to not give him too much of the medicine, it will be necessary for him to be at a steady dose for a couple of weeks. In kids especially, there can be a lag of benefit from when a medication is started or increased and when the actual benefit of it is noted.
Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX basicly knew that, I guess I hoping for quicker results. If their is a positive change will it occur gradsually?

Dr_Anderson : That, too can differ. For some of my kids, it was like a light switch was turned on. But for most, it is a gradual, but noticeable, change for the better.
Dr_Anderson : We wish these medicines worked more quickly, too! And with little or no side effects.
Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX helpful. Why does it take longer for children?

Customer:

Thank you Dr. Anderson, I apprecaite it. I did find the information helpful

Dr_Anderson : It takes about the same amount of time,we just tend to go more slowly in kids because we do not want to "overshoot" the mark with the dose of medicine.
Customer:

Thank you! Have a great day!

Dr_Anderson : Please let me know if you have any further questions, and feedback is most welcome.
Dr_Anderson, Doctor
Experience: Psychiatrist