Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,DPM,MRCPsych

Hi, Can Pure O OCD make you believe you have done something wrong? I was at a train st

Customer Question

Can Pure O OCD make you believe you have done something wrong? I was at a train station yesterday and got on the train, then half way through my journey panicked because I couldn't actually remember getting on-board, then I had thoughts of pushing someone on to the tracks as the train came in, and am doubting the little memory I have now. I have not been diagnosed but think it is pure o (from looking on forums).
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Doctor Rao replied 2 years ago.
Hi, please provide following information to help me give correct answer. Any past similar experiences, any repeated checking, cleaning habits that are excessive? Any paranoid ideation? Any low mood or mood disturbances? Level of social functioning and whether the symptom you mentioned effecting that. Thanks
Hi,Can you inform me whether you have experienced thus before? Do you have other symptoms like repeated checking, counting, cleaning etc? How is your mood and sleep? Do you at times feel paranoid? Please inform me so that I can give an appropriate answer. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I check the internet regularly for travel disruption updates and news updates to see if anything has happened.

I have had issues like this for 3 and a half years but it used to be only when I drank alcohol and had a hazy memory. I would think that I had assaulted someone or even worse, killed them! I am not a violent person so these thoughts cause me great distress.

I feel paranoid about having done something wrong, like in this case having pushed someone in front of a train - even though I have no memory of the incident (because it hasn't happened I'm sure)and I feel guilty.

I am able to function normally (work, social life etc...) but it is becoming increasingly difficult. I find myself very down and depressed at times, even considering suicide (though I dont think it would ever come to that).

Thanks
Hi, Thank you for the information which is very helpful.
You seem to be having some symptoms possibly suggests mixed depressive disorder with some obsessive ruminations. Some of the symptoms you mentioned have obsessive quality which is recurrent,repetitive,intrusive thoughts that are excessive,difficult to stop, you recognizes they are of your own and makes you distressed. The paranoid symptoms you mentioned appears secondary to your repeated thoughts than independent symptoms.

You also have some depressive symptoms in the form of low mood and lately increasing difficulty with coping.
We do know that these symptoms can be exacerbated by the stress and sometimes alcohol.

I am glad to hear that you already contacted your GP who referred you to the community psychiatrist.

I want you to contact your GP to expedite the appointment with the Psychiatrist if your symptoms are worsening. I also want to inform you that you contact either GP or OOH services including A&E if you develop any thoughts of harming yourself.

If your situation deteriorate rapidly(I sincerely XXXX XXX) I want you to be aware that your GP can request involvement of home treatment team via CMHT.

It is important to clarify the diagnosis with an assessment by a Psychiatrist .
If the diagnosis would be OCD the best possible evidence is for Cognitive behavioral therapy and a medication either or an SSRI.

In the mean time I will inform you about a self help book some of my patients find beneficial.

Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques
David Veale (Author), Robert Willson (Author)

Please do not hesitate to ask me if you require any more information.

I wish you all the best. If you are happy with the answer please leave a positive feedback.

Thank you.