Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Hello, Cannot reach my doctor as it is a weekend. Three days

Customer Question

Cannot reach my doctor as it is a weekend.
Three days ago I started taking BupropionXL to replace Lexapro.
Last night (end of day three) had terrible itching and hives on my legs and buttock. Took Benadryl and all ended up Ok. Since this is listed as a serious side effect I am unsure if I should continue taking this medication and see if the side effect passes?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

In cases of Severe allergic reactions due to any medicine like rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, unusual hoarseness it is usually recommended to stop that particular medicine and consult his or her doctor as soon as possible.

You have recently started Bupropion XL and developed the above mentioned symptoms so in my view it is better to consult your doctor first before restarting this medicine again to rule out the possibility of Bupropion causing them.

Please feel free to ask if you have any related query.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sir with all due respect. I see a CRNP you are listed as an M.D. I feel that you are more qualified. If I was one of your patients and the same scenario existed from the BupropionXL what would you tell me as a patient? I felt no tightness in my throat or chest. There was NO swelling anywhere mouth, face, lips, or tongue. Just some patchy hives which faded on there own. i took the Benadryl for the itching on my hands and feet. I really need a better answer than the one you originally provided. I can get that answer for FREE from a simple phone call to the emergency room.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

If any of my patient whom I had prescribed Bupropion recently (within 3 days) start developing the skin reaction such as allergy or hives for the first time in his life, I will ask him or her to stop this medicine for the time being till I am able to examine him completely and depending on the physical examination, I may prescribe him a different medicine later on or will try to reduce the dose and see if these symptoms reappear or not.

Kind regards