Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

i am on fluaxnol that worked but depression seems worse at

Customer Question

i am on fluaxnol that worked but depression seems worse at the moment what should i do.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.

Fluaxnol (flupenthixol which is a low dose neuroleptic) is being used by some doctors for controlling depressive symptoms but is not an established antidepressant as such and for controlling depression you will be needing a good antidepressant in my view.

You have already tried two SSRI antidepressants without much benefit probably so this time you can ask your doctor to prescribe you Duloxetine or Desvenlafaxine which are dual acting antidepressants in comparison to Ciprimal and Cipralex which acts on only one neurotransmitter serotonin.

Most patients who do not show good response to Ciprimal or Cipralax show good response to Desvenlafaxine or Duloxetine.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask any related query.

Kind regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think what worries me is that often one feeks worse on the anti depressants

Is this the case with the medication you are reccomending?
Also how long before they might start working and what side effects as most anti depressants have bad side effects ie loss of sex drive?
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

I slightly disagree with your here. In cases of depression, antidepressant are useful in most of the cases and can improve quality of life as seen by us clinically.

Desvenlafaxine and Duloxetine are good antidepressants and should be helpful in controlling your symptoms.

Most antidepressants start showing their effects within 1 to 2 weeks. Most of the side effects go away by its own within 1-2 weeks in majority of cases.

If you are very much concerned about sexual side effect, you can also consider the option of trying Bupropion or Mirtazapine. Both of these medicines are usually well tolerated and does not cause sexual side effect. Bupropion is specially useful in patients experiencing day time sleepiness, lack of concentration, fatigue while Mirtazapine is useful in patients having associated insomnia.

Desvenlafaxine and Duloxetine are another worth trying antidepressant in your case.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should one take anxiety medication as well as an anti depressant?
Will this help or be a dangerous option
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.
All antidepressants are effective antianxiety medicines so usually any other antianxiety medicines are not needed. But you may discuss with your doctor about the option of using Alprazolam or Clonazepam on as and when needed basis as required.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am scared that these drugs will have no affect or make me feel worse than i do already.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
read my last question
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.
Please accept my apology for the delay in answering.

You are already suffering from depression and if it is not treated your symptoms may worsen further so don't you think it is better to try treatment instead of avoiding it thinking that these medicines will have no effect or can worsen your symptoms.

If you totally want to avoid medicines you can also consider the option of trying psychotherapy specially Cognitive Behavior therapy. You simply request your doctor to refer you to a psychologist / psychiatrist who is trained in CBT.

What is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy?

Regards

Vikas
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the answer, it is scary when you dont feel like yourself and few things bring joy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 5 years ago.
You are most welcome. Do you have any other query to ask?

Regards

Vikas